• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

CanepaL_6_4

Started by zapphnath, March 29, 2007, 08:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapphnath

Even though this is nowhere near ready, I wanted to post something just to let Christine know that I haven't forgotten about this photo and that something is being done with it.
Exactly what, I'm not sure, but something is being done.

A few things to disregard, for now: (1) the edges of the various areas - I still need to "finalise" the masks, (2) the strokes around those edges - they're just there to help differentiate between the areas and (3) the "hair" - still working on that, as well.

I was able to find a lot of detail in the face, but the ear and everything else have been reduced to just their most basic shapes due to the damage.  I'm attempting to paint them, as you can see, but it all still needs more work.  I'm thinking about reducing it to greyscale and giving it the "Ted Turner" treatment (i.e. colorise it myself). 

I'll post updates when I can.

RosyBijou

Wow!  You have done a fine job picking out the detail in this child's face! 

It is indeed really difficult painting to authentically re-create obliterated areas.  I think you're on the right track though.  A while ago, I read about a plug-in that recreates the texture that was found on various companies paper print development.  At first, I po-poo'ed it, but now am giving it some more thought, as getting the texture in after the paint-job sometimes seems as difficult (or more difficult) as the paint-job itself.  I've spent so much time trying to re-create textures once a restoration is complete and sill get frustrated/stuck at that point.

Keep up the good work-- you've got a doozey!
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

zapphnath

It's been a while since I've had the time or inclination (inspiration) to work on this.  I was thinking about returning it to let someone with more of both give it a try but decided to put a little more time into it, first.
I'm not really happy with the way my fake arms turned out so I'm leaning towards cropping it (as shown).
Any thoughts?

paula

How can you not be happy with it?  You had a photograph that was almost completely obliterated and you pulled that little boy right out of  all that mess and brought him back to life.   The arms look fine.  When there is nothing to work with you have to "create" sometimes.  You did a fantastic job.

glennab

Hi Z

I think he (she?) looks darn good.  The only question I have is the shape of the head.  In the original it looks rounder than in your final.  When I superimpose one over the other I see  bit of discrepancy, not only in the shape, but also in the shading. Just subtle stuff.  Otherwise, I'd say you've done a fine job on a really tough restoration.  I especially like the eyes.  You've kept the shiny depth of color and that wonderful sparkle.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

zapphnath

Thanks for the compliments, guys.  This one is harder than I originally thought it'd be.
Practicing on a screen-shot from PhotoShelter convinced me to go ahead and try to do it for real.  The eyes were pretty easy to get clean and I figured the rest would fall into place.
I agree that the points in his/her head need to be fixed and some of the shading still need work and I'm thinking that some kind of buttons are needed where the straps connect on the overalls.  There's the slightest hint of them in the original.
Everything but the face, including his/her ear, had to be "painted" and that's what I'm not too happy with.  I'd prefer to use as much of the original as possible but that's not always so easily do-able.

glennab

Hi again Z

Regarding your comment that this restoration was more difficult than you thought it would be:  I think we've all hit that wall!  I've seen that expressed by many volunteers in many threads.  I know I've run into it with every restoration I've done.  I'm having one heck of a time with the little guy I'm working on, because I'm trying to create decent hair out of a total mess, and make one eye look natural when most of it was covered in debris. I remember looking at the thumbnail on Photobucket and thinking to myself "Self, this doesn't look too bad; let's give him a try."  Once I downloaded him and took a closer look, the reaction was "Self, what the heck were you thinking!"  But 've seen some miraculous restorations appear out of all the debris and missing parts.  I think it's a wonderful, if sometimes frustrating, challenge -- and your baby is evidence that it can be done.  Soldier on, my friend!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

RosyBijou

I have to give you a lot of credit for even attempting this one!  You have pulled so much out of this image and you've done an incredible job. 

I didn't bring the image over to my computer so don't feel like I can comment on any shading nuances (they look great from here!), but what catches my eye as not quite finished are the edges where the flesh tones/browns meet the background & clothing--they look a little sharp to me.  You have an edge softness on the baby's clothing-to-background and also where the blue overalls meet the white clothing--and that level of softness looks just right to me. 

I think if you could get the flesh tone edges just a little softer, then you'd go from A+ to A++!   (I've had good luck with the patch tool (using narrow patch strips) to create softer transitions between clearly defined edges.  Then, finishing by very slightly using dodge & burn tools where you'd see little shadows & hightlights, so the edges look convincingly blurred.))  If you do Alt-Layer ->  Merge Visible, you'll get a separate merged layer to play with without messing with the work you've done so far---but make sure that you see the L in Layer underlined before clicking Merge Visible, or you'll merge all the layers...

Kudos on this one!  you've done a terrific job on an impossible image!

PS--I've only done 3 restorations for OPR and every single one of them has been at least three times harder than I expected...
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

Ausimax

Hi Zapp,

I think you have done a great job with this photo, not much to begin with and you have pulled so much out of it, I don't see anything wrong with what you have done with the arms, that require a crop. The face is the focus of the photo and saving it as well as you have is a bonus.

The only suggestion I have is about the background, from his pose in the photo I would think he was lying on a bed and wonder if something in that line may be more appropriate?

Great work, keep it coming!

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!