• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Tossing the bouquet

Started by Jo Ann Snover, April 27, 2022, 12:34:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Ann Snover

This is my current restore. Not done by a long shot, but after trying to figure out what to do with the room and the guests, I thought I should see if the approach I've concluded will work seems reasonable to anyone but me :)

Original:

My WIP:

One of the other images, DupreB_14_08_8x10.jpg (still in Bambi's gallery), shows the same reception room and looking at how the fluorescent lights on the ceiling are in that picture, I decided to go with that room layout. I haven't finished the guests in the distance, but I think even if they're just dark and not very detailed, it'll keep the feel of the room even if lots of specifics got lost in the damage.

Still not OK with the bride's mouth, but I'll try and get that closer - it seems so simple but it doesn't look quite right to me yet.

Any suggestions most welcome
Jo Ann

Hannie

Very smart what you did with the lights Jo Ann.  The bride's mouth, perhaps if you lighten the shading on her upper lip some it will help?

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

Thanks Hannie. I'll zap my shadows & highlights layers and take another run at it - your version looks better and in mine it's a bit like a 5 o'clock shadow!!
Jo Ann

Candice

You may not be working on her eyes but I did a little work on them and overlaid them on your current WIP. 

Candice

Jo Ann Snover

Thanks. I have *so* many details left to work on - but getting the bride right is definitely the priority
Jo Ann

Jo Ann Snover

I'm done for today and I think the bride's face is improved. Any suggestions - especially if you think I'm going backwards! - most welcome

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Looking good JoAnn.. the first couple of things that came to mind were: the brides eyes, maybe you are not done with them but they don't look right.  I think the figures in the background could be less visible apart from the bridesmaids.. I don't think it's possible to get them to look really realistic and the less you can see of them the better.. just my immediate reaction. I think I would darken them down a bit too. Great job on a very difficult restore.. look forward to the final final.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

Here's a version to take a look at to see if this approach looks as if it will work. Separately, I stole the eyes from one of the other images for the bride; the eyes don't look like the original photo, but (a) they're hers and from the same event, and (b) I think they look better. I can easily back those out if Margie or Bambi doesn't want to do something like that.

This version has a blurred and darkened background and a de-noised bride & bridesmaids. I still haven't finished fixing things, but if it looks as if this approach is viable, I can re-use the masks on regenerated blurry & de-noised layers.

Note that the mask edges are a bit quick & dirty. I'd clean those up too.

Jo Ann

Lynnya

I think it's a good idea to take the focus off the background some.. I still see her eyes as being strange and I had thought it was due to damage. In my version of "bridge and groom" her eyes look more normal.. I may be wrong of course.  I think you may have taken the noise down too far unless you plan on putting some back in. This is a tough one for sure.. I know you'll get there in the end..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

This is a difficult restore and don't want to nit-pic, but I agree with Lynnya. The bride's right eye makes her look cross-eyed.  I think Candy's version looks more natural and doesn't draw attention to it.

Great job!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Looking closely at the original it almost seems to me that the white dot in the bride's right (our left) eye is not a catch light but a white spot of damage.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]