• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Bride and Groom

Started by Lynnya, April 11, 2022, 07:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi gang.. lost in the shuffle again.. need eyes please.. I think his jacket is grey.. one of the pics where he's putting on the garter his jacket looks quite grey.. I can always color it if it's not.

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Candice

Candice

Mhayes

Candy, I was about to say his hands don't look right, and then I looked at the original and that's how they look!

I called the owner and his jacket is a dark blue, bow tie is black, and pants are black. I will be sending her shots and getting more direction.
Off to a good start for photos that we won't be able to restore totally, but an improvement.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

In case it helps as you work on this, I ran the FFT filter (in Affinity) to remove the bobbles.

Margie has color guidance, but I have a couple of general comments. Given how soft the original is, the details you've added need to be equally soft. An example would be the catchlight in the bride's eyes.

This sounds contradictory, but overall, the WIP is too smooth. One choice would be to add noise selectively, another would be to keep more of the original texture in the restore (and I know that means more cloning).

Separately from texture, there are some things missing - buttons on the groom's jacket (I think I see 3 partials) . He also lost his buttonhole flower. The (huge) bow tie has lost a bottom chunk - bride's side, at the bottom. The inside shoulder is missing a bit and the bride's headdress got a bit cropped at the top. The shirt neck is missing in places too. See if the rough outlines over your WIP help.

I think the foreground carpet by the groom's feet is too dark in your WIP and the carpet between his trouser legs too light in the groin area - that would be much darker. I'm not sure what the object behind him is (between his legs) so I assume that's why you decided to just leave it out?

Hope this helps :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Yup! agree with you.. thanks for input.. I'll work on it. I'm surprised the jacket is dark blue..It doesn't look dark in any of the pics..

Hannie

Great work so far Lynn!  :up2:

I also think the dark blue seems not right but if the owner remembers well who are we to disagree. (maybe just a lightish (is that an actual word?) dark blue  ::))

Adding noise can also be left to the Quality check dept. they have a good feeling for what the photo will look like afterr printing.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thanks Hannie dearest  :hug: I did add a touch of noise before posting and blurred the noise a bit.. I'll leave it for qc.  I'll try for a blue that meets all. I'm working on it today and will repost for suggestions and critiques.

Jo Ann Snover

Not sure if this will confuse things more or clarify, but...

I thought I'd look at the original image with a few sources for color correction to see what that did to the groom's jacket color. I've labeled each; I did use a black & white adjustment layer (masked with about 50% gray used to paint in the groom's pants and bride's dress) to get closer to neutral on those (the image looked horrendous when I used part of the groom's pants to get a gray source!).

Bottom line is that "dark blue" is a pretty vague term, but I can't see any way this jacket could have been indigo, navy blue or royal blue, at least based on these photos and what would happen to the skin tones if you forced any of those colors. A very blue slate, muted petrol blue. I'd go for this (guy & tux!)

https://www.johnstuxedos.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/WEB-LOGO-cot_blu_not_allure_10286_2013_SlateTux-C-500x667.jpg

This is another possibility

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/43/a0/15/43a01521aa2da6e9ddfe151ef314e6b8.jpg

What do you think?
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks JoAnn... I agree.. no way it can be dark dark blue.. I've been trying to color it.. and IT'S NOT GOING WELL! I may leave the jacket for now and go back to it later..  I like your eyeball version.. I'll have at it and see what happens.. I really appreciate your help. :hug:

Jo Ann Snover

No problem. If you want the adjustment layers that made the "eyeball" colors you can grab it from my Google drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1acRxRQ5fYxM9tKxiAe0Xemql9N2VVXG8/view?usp=sharing
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks got it..

ignoring the selection and roughness just the color what do you think of this.. too dark?  You see the roses as yellow?

Jo Ann Snover

Color looks good, but yes it looks too dark to me, particularly their faces. This would have been a flash photo with quite a difference between the bright couple and the much darker church interior
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Right.. thanks.. good suggestion.. between the two of us we should be able to do this... right? ???

Jo Ann Snover

Let's just say yes - much better than any of the alternatives :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

how's this...what next... I'm leaving the noise for QC to add..