• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Portrait of a young woman

Started by Lynnya, March 09, 2022, 11:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Ann Snover

Here's my best guess at how this young woman is sitting. I'm not sure if schen and I are saying the same thing in different language or if our guesses are different.

I think she's "side sitting" - she's sitting on her left butt with her left leg itucked under her right. I've included a couple of stock photos and a drawing reference as examples. We can't see much of her right leg which could be bent at the knee, but as only the thigh is visible, it just goes straight out of the frame.

It's possible the angle of her left calf is a little tighter, or where the left thigh overlaps a bit lower, but I'd probably adjust a bit to make it look nice as there's so little that's clear in that area :). Hope this helps

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks JoAnn and Schen.. all input helps a lot!
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Candice

This has been interesting to watch.   :up:
Candice

Lynnya

I'm blind and can't see the woods for the trees.. I'm sure there are a lot of mistakes but here goes...

Jo Ann Snover

For a blind person, you've done a spectacular job :)

So I've marked up your WIP with some suggestions. Assuming that blurring the background to avoid a million years of cleanup is OK with your distributor (and FWIW I think it looks fine, even though it's not like the original), I think you need to blend the edges into the blurred background a bit. I've done some of that to show (and I always do that on a separate layer so if it needs to get redone or removed you can do that easily). The hard edge of the hair into the blur doesn't work, IMO.

An alternative (and I can put together an example if needed) is to use the smudge brush to recreate the hairs that overlay the extension. I can look very realistic, but it's a lot of work.

The color looked too yellow to me, especially on the background, so I toned it down a bit. I also darkened the background a little as it seemed too bright.

The super smooth skin on the face I added a little noise to so it didn't stand out as much (again on a separate layer and reduced the opacity slightly).

Then there are the places where the body parts aren't matching with the original. I've marked those outlines. I know her fingers have a very unusual shape, but I think it's important to follow that, even if yours look nicer :)

I like what you did with the gray carpet for her to sit on. It's not the original but I think it works and she looks "grounded".

Hope this helps.

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks JoAnn.. appreciate your input.  I'll work on it today with your marks and also her hair.  :up:

Lynnya

Okay.. I've addressed some of the corrections from JoAnn.. I'm afraid to touch the fingers cos I just know I'm going to mess up and go way backwards never to see normal fingers again.. JoAnn if you can fix the fingers that would be great but if you are busy maybe I can squeeze them by..
Please have a look and see what needs doing and if the changes I've made make sense or make things worse..this is where I start going back wards lol. Looking at it now I think the background is a bit too dark..

Jo Ann Snover

I agree with you that the background on the right is too dark - her hand is really hidden.

There are lots of little nitpicks, but honestly, I think all the things that are right outweigh the nitpicks. Why don't you lighten up the right and see what the distributor thinks?
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks JoAnn.. I'm thinking that some nitpiks are better than no picture at alll lol.

Lynnya

I can't stand it... what nitpiks...

Candice

Beautiful work!! Better you than me!! lol

Candice

Lynnya

Thank you Candy.. it may yet still need more...  :D

Candice

Candice

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Lynnya on March 16, 2022, 04:42:59 PM
I can't stand it... what nitpiks...

Sorry! Didn't mean to send you off the deep end :) Here is an edited version with some skin cleanups, edge fixes and my take on the legs. I've put my PSD file on my Google drive (let me know when you've copied it and I'll remove the file) if you want to put my edit layer and multiply-blend-mode curve adjustment layer (for some shadows) into your file to steal what you'd like from it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lh6UsAi6W3CQC5t9tXvVqwF88nlhl9fK/view?usp=sharing
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thank you my friend.. I have it and it's better  :up: