• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need a vacation?

Started by Johnboy, July 26, 2007, 09:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnboy

I have been following the threads on the restorations that are under way. You folks are doing a great job. As Christine said in one of them we all need to take a break as we work on our photos. So I thought I would share a URL that may give you that break along with a quick tour of the United States. It also provides a quick vacation for those who find it difficult to get away. For those of you who live in other lands, and cannot afford the air fare for a personal visit, this may be  cheap way to see this great country.

I received this through a Kodak digital newsletter. Matthew Frondor photographed the country from the Statue of Liberty in New York City to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California in 1 mile increments (I am not sure what that is in kilometers) so there are over 3,000 photos. It moves rapidly so pay close attention. Enjoy!

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/features/onTheRoad/?pq-path=492/873&pq-locale=en_US&CID=KOSEMAIL&MSG=062107_N1_C_INSPIRE

Johnboy

glennab

Hi JB

What an awesome idea.  I've bookmarked the site so I can "get away" once in a while.  I've traveled all over the world, but what I'd love to do more than anything is see the beautiful country in which we live.  (I'd even appreciate more time to see Florida before it's completely paved over.  The natural part of our state is incredible -- wild and sometimes dangerous, but just gorgeous.) This'll be a good start on my virtual road trips!

Thanks for the reference!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ratz

Great site Johnboy, thanks.
The photos are awesome, haven't gone through them all yet but have bookmarked for viewing when I return from my real vacation!
One whole week in Sydney!!!! No more work for one whole week!!!
As you can probably guess, I'm a little excited, I haven't had any time off for three years.
Thanks again for the link.
Regards Vicki :)

Johnboy

Glade you liked the site. I thought it was neat. It took me a while to get into the rhythm to see the photos.

Vicki, only one whole week in three years. I too would be greatly excited for a vacation. Have a safe and enjoyable time. Vacations go by all too fast no matter when you take them or for how long.

Isn't it funny Glenna how we will travel great distances to see things, but not really take time to visit those things in our own backyard that other people travel to see. I am guilty of that.  :halo:

Johnboy

glennab

Hi, JB

The really sad thing is that I work for a company that publishes tourist Guide-Maps to most of central and southwest Florida.  So I know where the good places are, and could probably get in free at any of them.  I did get a free tour of the Naples Zoo with the zookeeper, who took hubby and me all over the place in a golf cart and in a little boat to see the primate islands, I got to get nose-to-nose with an ocelot and see a lion up really close.  That was awesome.

One of our advertisers in Southwest Florida is a company that offers bike tours of the Everglades.  I've promised myself I AM going to do that one.

There are great places to visit in our area -- St. Pete and Tampa (we have two of the top 10 beaches in the country, a beautiful aquarium, gorgeous parks) -- and unless one is on vacation, it's hard to find time to get to them.  It's tragic how much we miss right in our own back yard.  Part of being human, darn it!  Take it all for granted.

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

LSC

If anyone comes to LA I can get you into a TV show - although my fave part of LA is Griffith Park -- great hikes -- Lee

phischer

Quote from: glennab on July 27, 2007, 09:34:58 PM
Hi, JB

The really sad thing is that I work for a company that publishes tourist Guide-Maps to most of central and southwest Florida.  So I know where the good places are, and could probably get in free at any of them.  I did get a free tour of the Naples Zoo with the zookeeper, who took hubby and me all over the place in a golf cart and in a little boat to see the primate islands, I got to get nose-to-nose with an ocelot and see a lion up really close.  That was awesome.

One of our advertisers in Southwest Florida is a company that offers bike tours of the Everglades.  I've promised myself I AM going to do that one.

There are great places to visit in our area -- St. Pete and Tampa (we have two of the top 10 beaches in the country, a beautiful aquarium, gorgeous parks) -- and unless one is on vacation, it's hard to find time to get to them.  It's tragic how much we miss right in our own back yard.  Part of being human, darn it!  Take it all for granted.

Glenna

My wife and I honeymooned in Captiva after we were married.  We loved it there so much that we went back for last Christmas. Curiously enough, our baby is due 9 months after that.  :D

glennab

Phisher, what an amazing coincidence!  Don't ya think?????

We're developing a web site for our Southwest Florida publication, and we have some wonderful shots of people squatted or leaning over at the beach on Captiva and Sanibel looking for shells.  It's a local joke about the shelling posture -- I can't remember exactly what it's called, but it's quite humorous.

Those islands are favorite destinations even for Floridians.  They're gorgeous.

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

phischer

Quote from: glennab on July 28, 2007, 11:19:33 PM
Phisher, what an amazing coincidence!  Don't ya think?????

We're developing a web site for our Southwest Florida publication, and we have some wonderful shots of people squatted or leaning over at the beach on Captiva and Sanibel looking for shells.  It's a local joke about the shelling posture -- I can't remember exactly what it's called, but it's quite humorous.

Those islands are favorite destinations even for Floridians.  They're gorgeous.

Glenna

Isn't it the "Sanibel Stoop"? Or is that just what the tourists call it?

glennab

Phisher, I believe you're right.  I'll ask our sales manager, since he lives in Ft. Myers, but that sounds the term.

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

Or "Captiva Crouch" depending on where you are?
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6