• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

BFs

Started by Shadow, October 20, 2021, 04:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

BFs
Hi Gang. Just getting started on this one and thought I would make sure I wasn't already off track.  ::)  Color look good?  Isn't the little hat adorable!

Original

Color adjustment and beginning cleanup

Jo Ann Snover

The color looks good. I'd watch the highlights as they look just a little bright to me - the details in the door are getting lost in a few places.

The dog is a cutie - I'd skip the hat though :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Hi Lyn.. color looks great on my screen .. :up: Good luck.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Many thanks. Think this might be close to the final. Have to rest the peepers and then have another look.  ;)  What do you see?

Jo Ann Snover

What did you do with the dog's ear? :) And the edge of the hat. Perhaps you turned off a layer that should have stayed on?

Otherwise, I see a couple of hard vertical lines to the left of the man's mouth and above his ear on the left of the photo. There are a couple of similar but horizontal lines under the man's chin and where his collar meets the shoulder seam of the shirt (on the left). Not sure if those are JPEG artifacts from how you saved for the forum or are actually in your file.

There's something odd about the fabric loop around his belt - I think the loop is creased, but even so there's something on the left side that probably shouldn't be there.

The shadows are hard in the original, but they look even harder, perhaps because of the increased brightness? You might ask your distributor, but I think they'd look better with a slightly softened edge. That might be considered inappropriate for a restore (I always have to resist trying to "improve" :))

Otherwise, once the dog has his ear back, I think you're good!

Jo Ann

Shadow

Thanks JoAnn! Poor little dog. Yep. Had a layer off. Found some other stuff when I zoomed in. Better?

Jo Ann Snover

Yes, it is - two ears on a dog look so much better :)

I'm still seeing some lines where there weren't any in the original. I put a box around the most noticeable in case it helps find them

Jo Ann

Shadow

Thanks for pointing those spots out JoAnn. This one is better.

Lynnya

Looks good Lyn.. makes me smile.. :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Thanks Lynn. That little dog is adorable.
Adding this closeup because the image above doesn't look as good as what's on my screen. Its weird, the vertical line on the left of his chin is not visible on my screen and yet here it is again.  :crazy:

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Shadow on October 21, 2021, 01:59:26 PM
...Its weird, the vertical line on the left of his chin is not visible on my screen and yet here it is again...

That closeup does look better (on the hair on the left as well).

How are you saving the JPEGs you post here? I use Photoshop and the Export As option to save a JPEG for the forum (for returning finished restores, I use Save As/quality 10). That's the successor to the Save for Web option.  It has to be something in the save process that's introducing these artifacts.
Jo Ann

Candice

Shadow, it's been my experience that the source we use to post brings out quite a few things that we don't see on our own screens sometimes.  I use it as a source just to see those little things I might have missed.  :)
Candice

Shadow