• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Girl eating

Started by levb, October 05, 2021, 04:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

levb

This is my progress so far. Did I bite off more than I can chew?

Lynnya

I think you are off to a great start and finish line.. :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Bambi

Off to a great start. Looks just a little too red, but that might be just the way it looks here. The original is not sharp, so don't try to sharpen it. These are difficult restorations and you're doing great!  8)

levb

Thanks for the feedback!

I planned to sharpen it at the end, thanks for mentioning that I shouldn't.

Do you think I chose the right color for the floor? I didn't have a better idea.

What should I do about the bottom of the doorway? Add a shadow? It doesn't look natural the way it is now.

Lynnya

Hi Levb.. I looked at the blue channel of this image and it looks like the floor goes all the way through from where the little girl is.. same color same floor ..see below also if you look in the corner by the girls feet it looks like linoleum  with a tile pattern..which makes it so much harder  :wow:

Shadow

You are off to a wonderful start. Good luck.  :)

Jo Ann Snover

Following up on Lynnya's point about the blue channel, something I find helpful is to draw some outlines over the blue channel (on a separate layer) so I can look at those over my work in progress to see if I'm on track.

I did that with your WIP as the legs of the high chair and the kitchen table are missing right now and the perspective of the floor boundary with the living room is a bit off.

Take a look at the blue channel and your current WIP with the outlines to see if that helps.

I think, but it's really hard to tell, that there's a TV in the living room against the far wall. It's all very dark though, so getting the rough shapes correct will probably work fine with no details. I think the floor is brown with a darker brown "pattern" - a grid. Just make sure you blur the grid so it matches all the other edges (i.e. very out of focus) in the image.

Hope this helps.

Jo Ann

Mhayes

Levb great work on a really hard restore.  Nice  to see how details pulled out. Jo Ann I think you could be right about the TV, but its going to pretty much stay in the shadows. I guess a lighter outline--as in gray could give more definition--but it may just have to stay dark in the shadows. The most important parts are now in place.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

levb

This is where I am now. But the floor doesn't look real.

Jo Ann Snover

I think the issues with the floor are:

-perspective isn't right on the lines - they aren't parallel to the walls
-You have no legs on the high chair that meet the floor, so it's "floating". The table needs grounding but it's less noticeable as it could be far enough back not to be visible in the photo. Look at the outlines from my earlier post for a guide.
-Uniform color and texture - a bit of shading (can be done on a separate layer above what you have) around the far corners will help. For texture, noise is a generic option or just the texture from a photo of some vinyl floor (the healing brush can blend your floor with the texture of another image; can be done on a separate layer so you can experiment without consequence!)

Hope this helps
Jo Ann

Jo Ann Snover

Here's a suggestion of what it should look like. Using the outlines from earlier, I made a layer with a plain brown (as in your floor) and some slightly darker lines for tiles using the outline grid

I found a picture online of vinyl floor tiles and used a 4x4 square from that to make a layer to borrow texture for the plain floor. I sized and skewed it to match the perspective on the floor, and used gaussian blur to make the tile less sharp to match the image (which is blurry)

I then made a new empty layer above the floor and used the healing brush to apply the texture to the floor. I did it in chunks and left some areas blank. Blurred the result a little and added some noise. It's not perfect, but you get the idea.

I cloned the chair legs (again, quick and dirty), painted in the table base and then added a layer to put some shadows onto the floor (a layer set to multiply blend mode where you paint with a very soft edged pale gray brush. Paint and then Blur until you're happy with the brush. Darker gray to get darker shadows.

I don't think you're all that far off :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Looking good LevB.. with Jo Ann's suggestions you've cracked it! :up:

Candice

She's come miles.  Love it!
Candice

Shadow

What a tough one. Really coming along. Good luck!

levb

Wow! Thanks for all the help!