• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Unhappy Baby

Started by Lynnya, September 17, 2021, 11:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Good morning! Please have a good look at my restore so far.. I'm pretty rusty after the long dry spell and photoshop seems mostly a mystery so far.. It's great to have work again!

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

Good Morning Lynnya, I think you have done a great job so far. In fact when you said you wanted an easy one, I thought this one wouldn't have been my first job. Hang in there, your skills will come back.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thanks Margie.. I didn't actually request this one.. I was surprised .. I figured you'd just sent it.. looking forward to some feedback to  improve the image.. :cool:

Shadow

How exciting! A sweet baby pic to work on. And a humdinger at that  ;)
On my little screen it looks like you are off to a good start. Look forward to seeing your next update.
Good luck!

Mhayes

Lynna, so sorry and a really sneaky way of me tricking you. I went back and when I seen your 3 choices, there is only one with the # and that is the first one which is 002.

DinvautB20_002_8x10.jpg

DinvautB20_2x2_7_5.jpg

DinvautB20_20_4x6.jpg
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Hey it's all good Margie.. :up: good way to brush up on my photoshop skills ... may  need Candy's help on this one..

Jo Ann Snover

Hello! I think it's looking good except for the little (crochet?) toy between the baby's feet. The bottom of it has changed shape and the highlights have lost some detail.

And the baby's still crying :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks Jo Ann I was hoping you'd step in.. I'm struggling away here with shadows..any input appreciated..

Jo Ann Snover

I took a look at the blue channel and then drew some outlines - for the baby's clothes, legs & shoes, and also for the stuffed toy.

I have put 4 views together - one is your work in progress with the outlines overlaid - so I think it makes clear the differences in the toy and a couple of the edges of the baby's outfit.

If you look at the textures of the toy and the folds in the front of the baby's outfit, I think they're more evident in the adjusted blue channel version I did. I Lightened the original a little less - to preserve more of the highlights - but added an adjustment layer (curves) set to Hard Light blend mode. The mask was initially very dark gray, but I painted (big soft brush) on the parts that needed a bit more texture, contrast & brightness with a lighter gray.

You might ask about whether it's important to keep the blanket fold in the lower left corner - might not be worth the work to tidy it up as it's not really the main subject.

I think you need to keep the sepia-ish tones of the original, but the blue channel gave a clear look at the details minus the blue pen

See what you think

Jo Ann

Mhayes

I agree about the blue channel and no, it's not important to keep the fold in the blanket. I think the baby is sitting on a cushion as it seems to match the back. The sepia is pleasing and you can submit it, but make sure you send in the sRGB in B/W as well. Quality Control will make the final decision. I don't think the photo was sepia, but the flood waters caused the brown on the cushion to migrate and color the photo. Looking good.

One thing when you get around to it, is to make the baby's forehead and top come more in to focus so it doesn't look like he's in a fog. I know, one brush fire at at time.

I really am sorry you got this one when you wanted to start off easy. Baptism by fire.  >:D
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thanks Margie and JoAnn... ya know?? hard tho it may seem but I completely forgot about channels?? the blue channel??  :-\ what's with that!!  I'll play with it some more.

So... suddenly remembering the blue channel I took the original and looked at it... JEEZ.. do you know how much work it was to remove the blue writing without the blue channel? duh.. talk about relearning.  So I can't help it I must start over now the blue writing has miraculously disappeared... makes me wonder what else I've forgotton... :crazy:

Lynnya

Okay round two :cool: - using the blue channel.. here is my latest..

Shadow

Think the black and white is looking really good Lynn.  :up2:

Jo Ann Snover

Big improvement, IMO. Couple of small suggestions:

- Baby's right pinkie (left of picture), front of onesie have a couple of white spots or blotches. The stuffie has a couple of scratches on his rump, one dark, one lighter.
-The shadows on the baby's face are a little too dark. The baby's highlighted side looks much better than before - you've pulled back the details - but the heavy shadows are a bit overpowering.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks Shadow and thanks JoAnn... will go over the details again..

Have corrected details thanks JoAnn and redid the sepia color and sent them home. Thanks.