• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Very puzzled

Started by Marydh, July 19, 2019, 04:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marydh

Hi there.  I'm still working on this picture  and something odd has happened and I can't figure out why or how to fix it.  The first picture shows my current layer in normal mode but when I change blending mode to screen these red marks keep showing up.  Of course I've cloned and I tried to patch but nothing seems to get rid of it.  I'm sure one of you gurus knows the answer.
Thanks, Mary

Lynnya

Hi Mary.. I'm sure Jo Ann will be able to help you.. may be something to do with layers underneath me thinks.. but I really have no clue..I know when I use certain blend modes odd things can happen to expose the layers underneath.... I think... :(
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing - with all the layers, not just this one.

Are you taking a pixel layer and setting its blend mode to screen above some number of other pixel layers? If so, why are you using a pixel layer (versus a curves adjustment layer with a mask)?

If you turn off the "current layer" from the above example, and insert a curves adjustment layer set to screen blend mode, do you see the same red show up?

Is there any layer underneath the "current layer" that has red in that location? Above?

I think I'd probably change blend modes and turn modes on and off until I could make a difference of any type - which might then give you a clue as to what's up. And I'd probably also quit Photoshop, reboot my computer and restart Photoshop before trying any of the above just in case it's a bug of some kind that goes away after a restart :)

Sorry I don't see any immediate answer...
Jo Ann

Jo Ann Snover

Ha (Lynn)!! Such confidence :)

Do you have a google drive where you could post the PSD file for me to take a look? I'd be happy to if you'd like

I've made a folder on my Google Drive that should be set so anyone with the link can add to the folder

Modified to remove the link as no longer needed
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Mary, I'm not sure I will be any better in helping you, but first I'm curious about why you are using Screen? I use it to lighten things up if I want it globally or if I am going to mask off what I want. One thing I do is to save versions of my work as I go along as I really don't like a lot of layers, even though they can be grouped into folders. I would make a duplicate of your work now and on it flattened all layers. I having you do this as I don't know what else is going on. Then do a duplicate of that layer--which will be the layer that you change to "Screen". If you like your results and you can tweak by changing the opacity or doing a layer mask. Then what I do is "Merge Visible--short cut keys: Shift + ALT +Ctrl + E--that will put a new layer on top, but not flatten your layers. This new top layer will now be in normal mode. I always do this when I have changed the mode, because otherwise you will get in the problems you are having now.

Hope that helps and hope I understood your problem.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Well, I shut everything down and restarted but it still happened.  I really only switched to screen just to see things in a
lighter mode hoping some things might pop out and I saw the red and couldn't figure out why.   Interestingly enough, when I used the curves set to screen it was fine.   I suppose since it really doesn't change the outcome I'm not going worry about it.  And yes, if I really need to use screen, I will use the curves layer.
(Btw Jo Ann, I would be embarrassed for you to see my file.  Haven't quite figured out how to work non-destructively yet.)

Jo Ann Snover

Ah, so perhaps I should skip the folder idea? No need to be embarrassed - but I am really curious as to why it happened. I like puzzles :) Up to you, but I will take a look (and promise not to post about the file beyond why the red appeared) if you would like
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Mary, you do not have to use the Curves screen if you want to use screen. When you do the Merge Visible it takes your layer with "Screen" and merges it with the layer below and now that layer is in Normal mode. I know everyone one does what works for them and they are comfortable with, but I use the screen function on a separate layer and not as a Curves Adjustment. You can on the Screen layer doing a mask and then the Merge Visible. Below is what I am talking about and using the photo from your post. The color won't be as good because I used Snag It to copy my screen.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks Margie.  Makes sense.
It still amazes me how many different ways there are to do things in Photoshop.