• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Portrait - Mum & son

Started by kimh, July 18, 2019, 05:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimh

Hi all,

I'd appreciate any feedback on this wip please, its by no means finished I'm just seeking some guidance to make sure I'm headed in the right direction.
There was a texture over a lot of the photo, it looks like something may have been laying on it and its left rows of white dots, there a still a lot on mums hair at the front.
I've been inpainting them dot by dot but I'm not sure whether I should keep going with that or if there is a better way.
I'm assuming applying a denoise filter wouldn't be allowed.

Any other suggestions.

Thanks
Kim

Original

WIP1

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Hannie

Don't you just love those white dots!  ;)

You could use a Dust & Scratches filter and set the radius slider to 2 or 3 pixels, (far enough so most dots are gone) and then move the threshold slider to the right, far enough so the white spots don't re appear.
Use a black layer mask and with white paint over the dots.

I sometimes use several Dust & Scratches filter layers, each for different sized white dots.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

Affinity has an FFT (fast fourier transform) filter which I think you can use here. The dot pattern that appears over much of the surface - but not all - might have been from another photo using that textured paper being on top of this one. The lower right of the photo looks completely smooth, so I think the texture on the other parts is transferred.

If you remove as much of the dot texture using the FFT filter as you can (and mask the result to exclude those areas that are fine in the original) it might make removing the white dots that need manual work (i.e. whatever Hannie's suggestion doesn't fix) easier as your source for cloning won't have the bobble texture on it
Jo Ann

Marydh

Jo Ann, I just used the FFT Filter from Affinity on a personal photo and  it was amazing!  So glad you posted that.  Thanks.  Mary

Jo Ann Snover

Glad it worked for you.

What I find really breathtaking - given that there was a free tool ages ago that stopped working at some point given operating system upgrades - is why Photoshop never implemented this. It just seems like a useful tool that any "serious" image editor should include. Arguably much more useful than things they do have - eg

How do you think my latest restore is coming along?? (it's the extrude filter, btw)
Jo Ann

Marydh

Yeah, I thought there was one a long time ago but then I got away from restoration and alas.  I wonder as well why PS hasn't included it.  Maybe we should picket?
I do think you need to get a handle on the stripes. :0)

Jo Ann Snover

Jo Ann

Candice

Quote from: Hannie on July 18, 2019, 06:25:46 AM
Don't you just love those white dots!  ;)

Um...... NO!!!   :knuppel:
Candice

kimh

WIP2 attached.
Removed noise
I'm not particularly happy with mums hair at the top, once the white dots are removed it looks blotchy.

Thanks
Kim

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Jo Ann Snover

I think the hair looks different because the highlight strands that are feathered have been broken up - put those back and it looks better to me. Also, the original colors are very warm - too much yellow and red.

There are also some little cloning touch ups that I think will be noticeable - like the shadows between fingers where the eye picks up the broken line very quickly. There are some discolored areas in the background and in Mum's dress, so I used a black and white layer to neutralize a bit (masked using shades of gray; don't want all the color gone). On the boy's hair there are bunch of little color blotches.

I darkened some of the brighter highlights to keep the detail better - the top of the mother's dress is blown, so short of cloning (which I don't think you need to do) there's no detail to bring back.

Here's my edits to your WIP and then the corrections layer alone which I hope will make it easier to see where I made changes. Hope this helps.

Jo Ann

kimh

Thanks Jo Ann, I lost direction there for a while, hopefully I'm back on track now.

Wip3 attached.

Kim

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Jo Ann Snover

Looking much better now.

I noticed on the boy's shirt that the repairs on the right side shadow, above his arm, had removed the shadow and a white gap between petals in the flower. If you look at another instance of the flower on the shirt front near the armhole you can see the white gap there too, so I think it's not damage.

The color looks a ton better too - possibly still very slightly yellow, but perhaps you should let your distributor have a look to see what they think?
Jo Ann

Marydh

Lynnya

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]