• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Camp memories

Started by coopmj, July 17, 2019, 02:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coopmj

Hi All,

Please put your eagle eyes to work on this.  Maybe a little too green/yellow?  (It was a bit red to start with but I might have gone too far the other way.) 

Thanks!

Mary

WIP

Original

Lynnya

Hi Mary.. I captured your image and looked at the levels.. the right hand slider (looking at the screen) seemed to need to be brought in quite a bit.. then I did a neutral gray using the ground to the right of the far right girl (again looking at screen) and it made the image much cooler.. took out quite a bit of red.. if it was me I would go half way between the two.. check it out and see what you think.. others may have a better answer. Look forward to the final.. it's a great shot :)
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

The original has badly discolored over time and it's very magenta as well as red. Your version has really cleaned that up, but I thought I'd play a bit and see if I could make it look more the way I imagine it did when taken. See what you think

The girls - and the staff - look very sunburned, but even so, and even after adjusting the shadows and highlights areas a bit (two curves adjustment layers, one in screen mode and one in multiply), they still looked too red/magenta. I used a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and altered red and magenta only; desaturated a little and nudged the hue very slightly (to yellow in the red case and to red in magenta).

Jo Ann

Shadow

Lovely cleanup Mary! Maybe check out the second girl on the bottom from the left and the third girl from the left on the top for a wee bit of damage. Seems the day for tricky color. On my screen there seems to be excess blue. (Used a Hue/Sat to see how much blue was actually there.) Tried Lynn's trick with the neutral gray and it helped but there was still plenty of blue in the hair. Not sure of the best way to correct this ... calling on the color gurus  ::)

Mary's

Jo Ann's

Lynnya

When faced with horrible blue or red cast I crank it up just to be spiteful and then crank it way down in hue/sat using desat the blues only...then mask it back in where it needs to be .. clear as mud??
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

Sometimes color casts are there because of the reflected light at the scene, not only because of damage or something in the restoration having gone astray.

My best guess would be that the shade from the trees was coloring the light shining on the tops of the heads. When you look at the blue in the foliage (in your cranked up versions) I think you are seeing the source of the blue-ish tinge to some of the tops of heads

You can certainly take it out as Lynn describes, but I'd go gently to keep the feel of the original scene - i.e. an outdoor portrait in light with mixed colors.
Jo Ann

coopmj

Ahhh, once again I'm foiled by color...there are so many ways to adjust it and I've tried everyone's suggestions.  The result? I probably made it worse! :funny:  Let me know and I'll go back to the drawing board. 

Jo Ann Snover

You've definitely tamed the red! I think it looks a little cold for a sunny day (too blue), even considering the shade. I don't think I'd suggest backing up, but perhaps upload for your distributor to take a look and tell you if they want it a little less blue
Jo Ann

coopmj

As always, many thanks Jo Ann! I'll play around with this a little more and then send it on and see if Bambi has additional changes.

Mary