• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ausimax's Workshop

Started by Ausimax, March 16, 2007, 08:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

This is my latest project.

What are your thoughts on it?

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

kiska

Looks like the people are still picking up the red from the wall................except the lady on the right. She's kinda green. Good hand!
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Hi Max -- Here's what I see:

I think her hand is closed in a relaxed manner with her thumb prominent and her arm probably bent slightly.  Just below her hand it appears to me that the hand of the woman standing behind her is showing, relaxed but open. Visually they're so close that they look like parts of one hand, but I honestly see 2.  Just another perspective.

I'll second kiska's comment that a little more color correction is in order.  The whites look a bit muddy and there is still a slight red cast to the faces.

(This is what happens when I take a day off.  BEWARE!)

Have a wonderful day!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Good Morning Max,

I'm going to second that of Glenna on the hand being relaxed and add one more thing to think about.  I'm a fluffy lady, too and have much the same build as the woman that you are working on, on the right; here's the thing to think about.  I do not believe that her arm is away from her body, but I do believe that it is close to her body just as her right arm is.  It appears as thought it is but I think that is the damage of the water.  She would have been in a relaxed position....... just a thought. 

Hugs,
C

GP

Max, good job so far on this,
I also think  the hand of the lady on the right should be closed and her arm should be maybe a bit longer or not so slim towards the hand. Her skirt needs a little work also, the stripes look a bit irregular, the colors of the individual stripes don't match up in some places.

Gerlinde  8)
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

glennab

Candy -- Fluffy?  FLUFFY?  I love it.  All these years I've been calling myself a dumpling.  I'ts fluffy from now on!

Hugz

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Kiska, you are probably right about the colour, I fiddled with curves and got it looking better, however I don't usually bother too much as OPR request we don't sharpen or colour correct. I quite often don't, but in this case I had to, to find all the stains in the background, another reason is my monitor is only calibrated with Adobe Gamma, so I don't know how it appears on other monitors, and besides that I do have trouble with discerning subtle shades of colour.

Glenna and Candice, I am sorry but in this case you are both wrong, there is only one hand, the hand that is there is original, my big problem was finding something to fit between the hand and the sleeve, she appears to have been caught in the act of reaching for something on the table, what I have know idea, I would think a glass, but that seems unlikely as there are no other glasses to be seen. That is why her arm is away from her body, it had to be out and her elbow bent to get it to align with her wrist.

Gerlinde, hand bit answered, skirt, will probably have another go at it, used the patch tool and unfortunately the further over the damage the worse the colours blended, will probably do better cutting and pasting.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer, and I am not being ungrateful, it is just that half the time taken with this photo was trying to design an arm to fit that $)**# hand.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

Ausimax

Hi,

Have reworked the skirt, cleaned up some of the whites and done a little bit of tweaking here and there, I don't think I can take it much further and will probably send this version home.

Max

glennab

Hi Max

I think brightening the tablecloth, etc. is a marked improvement.  I'm still concerned about the lady's arm and hand.  I feel the position appears unnatural, and I think her arm is too thin.  I guess we'll just have to continue to disagree about the number of hands!  This is so subjective and difficult with all the damage in that area.  And here we are, two pairs of elderly eyes trying to figure it out!  My head hurts!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

This is my current source of frustration. :mad:

And this is where I am at, (nowhere I think) I haven't had much time to work on it yet, just trying to get a feel of the face, rough at this stage but am I heading in the right direction? ???

Max

GP

Hi Max!
Mama MIA, this is a real mess.   :wow:
I fully understand your frustration, just spent at least 2 hours on my work in progress without making a lot of progress!  >:(

Little baby steps. But I must say, yours looks allready pretty good. I think you got the basic scull structure down without making it look flat. That's quite an accomplishment considering what little is left of his face.

Now to the things that need a little modification in my opinion. His shin looks a little too round on his left side and his ears are too prominent at the moment, left one is either too big or the right one too small. I can't decide. But you are headed definitely into the right direction. :up:

I hope this helps you, my eyes are going like this  :D  at the moment, time to go to bed!

:hug:  Gerlinde
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

glennab

Hi Max

I just tried every trick I know, and couldn't get any more detail.  I do think your guy's face is a bit too plump and I agree with Gerinde that he has a bit too much ear.  Right now he looks robotic.  How are you going to get the texture back into his face?  You deserve a medal for tackling this one.  It's about the worst I've seen.  All I can do is wish you luck and check on progress as you work on him.

Goodnight

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kstruve

Hi Max!

All I can say is, "Whoa!"  Boy, is this boy's face damaged.  I don't think that his ears are too big in your reconstruction, Max.  I think that they stand out more, just because the only part you've touched is the skin on his head and the fact that it's now smooth and pink in contrast to the rest of the photo.  I carefully compared the outline of his head and ears compared to your's and they're pretty much dead-on.  He just has prominent ears.  I think that the problem now is, it's being restored with a bit of a heavy hand.  His skin color looks kind of plastic in it's pinkness.  Plus, the structure of his nose and forehead is too bulbous for a young boy.  I played with the photo for about 20 minutes on my lunch break and came up with this:

I used primarily the healing brush and just slowly cleaned it up a bit, keeping in mind the shape of a young boy's face.  I think that this direction is more accurate.  Also, I wouldn't mess with his skin tone too much.  I don't think it looks too bad in the original.  Maybe at the very end you can apply an adjustment to cut some of the yellow, but not too much in my opinion.

Kurt

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Sorry I haven't answered before, we have had visitors for the last 3 days plus I had to go to the city yesterday to get my skin cancers treated, so I really haven't had time to scratch, ( Whoops! thats a lie I'm also covered with insect bites, so I've been doing a lot of that) Christine, take note this one will not be back in a week, a month more like.

Gerlinde, Glenna, it is a bit of a challenge, I'm not too happy with what I have at present, looks too much like one of those ceramic masks, Kurt seems to have come up with a better solution, may sub-contract the face to Kurt. :wnw:

Thanks Kurt that looks a lot better than mine, will start again and see if I can get the same result, did you find all that detail in his right eye or did you copy the left one? I couldn't seem to find useful detail there.

Thanks to all for your help and support it make the struggle worthwhile.

Max

Ausimax

I seem to be missing something here, this is the first attempt I made on this photo using the healing brush, by the time I get it cleaned up it has developed a plastic look.

I had another go today and the result was about the same, I can't retain the same detail as Kurt has, I think I may have to send this one back so somebody who has the skill can restore it.

Max