• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Ausimax's Workshop

Started by Ausimax, March 16, 2007, 08:38:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laportelj

one source easily accessed for the buttons etc... is ebay you could pick up the detail there, possibly even the color?

Jane

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

glennab

Hi Max --  If you don't have an answer about the colors by this evening (our second-hand time!), I'll see if Lon can give us a clue, since he's a military expert.  One observation is that the definition of the epaulets and pockets -- places where there are pleats or openings -- needs more depth.  Some of your lines are broken or very thin, where in the original they're relatively wide, contiguous and soft.  I'm guessing that you're not finished, but since I've become so aware of the impact on those shaded areas, I wanted to bring them to your attention.

Later 'mate!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ausimax

Hi,

Thanks Jan, kiska, and Glenna, found some buttons and some uniforms on eBay, so I think I have the colours sorted, yes Glenna I still had all the shading to do, had only burned in the detail outline whilst I was repairing it so I would know where to put it back.

Have tidied it up and sent it home, thank you all for your help, much appreciated.

Max.
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Ausimax

My latest photo.Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Max

Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

pcraft

Looking good Max...  Just one thing I might do with this, is...  Rotate it clockwise a degree or so to make the young lady
look like she's standing straight up... 

:up:

Regards,
Robert

PS.  Oopps!!  The general consensus below is to not rotate.
Please disregard my suggestion...   :up2:

zapphnath

It'd be nice to rotate the image so that it's straight, but that wouldn't necessarilly be in-keeping with the spirit of the original.  Perhaps the photographer was going for a certain look by taking the picture off-kilter.  Probably best to leave it that way.
The only suggestion I have is to darken the shading on her right leg to match the other one and she should be ready to go home.

cmpentecost

Hi Max,

I agree with zapphnath.  It may be best to leave the photo slightly crooked, as that is how the original appears.  I also agree with a bit of shading (dodging and burning) to the leg, and then I think it will be perfect!

Christine

glennab

Hi Max -- I'll third Z and Chris.  Just those little tweaks are all she needs.  Great job rebuilding the leg!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

laportelj

Make that 4 looks good to me too!

Jane

Ausimax

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the use of your eyes and your suggestions, Robert, I think this one really falls into the snapshot class, everything is on a lean, it really made it hard replacing the leg, because the lean makes it look like she is going to fall off it, and you want to put it under her but that is not where the foot was. Nearly went nuts trying to straighten up the image for a start, used the measure tool on one side and rotated, didn't look right - tried the other side, no better, finally came to the conclusion that the damage had caused some shrinkage toward the top of the photo, causing a "key-stoning" effect, they didn't worry too much about printing the picture square on the paper those days either.

Will carry out the adjustments to the leg and send her home, thanks for your help.

Max

ReactionStudios

Great Job thus far  :up:

• I would suggest getting rid of the indications of cloning on the bottom portion of her dress. It's a sign of setting your source to close to the target and you end up with blotchy, repeating patterns.
  • Looking at the photo — her left leg looks too painted.The problem is no texture or variation in tone. This results in restores looking overly painted. Think of a cylinder, you do not have hightlights posterized to midtones posterized to shadow. You have a gradient of those tones. While you are on that leg, I'd match up the shadows, value wise, to the right leg. Again add some texture to the right leg, as well.

Here is a sample of what I am talking about — Left Posterized and Right Blended Gradient.

Hope this helps-
|shawn|

kjohnson

Love it when we get tips & how-tos and this one's complete with an illustration too.
I recall seeing some of Shawns work from awhile back... 

Ausimax

Thanks Shawn, I did improve it some before I sent it home, though not a elegantly as your example, thanks for the valuable help.

Max

Ausimax

My latest, would you check out the colour for me please.

Max