• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Water Damage

Started by nitehawk, June 07, 2007, 01:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitehawk

This is my latest restoration.  I'm having trouble with the areas where the water damaged the detail of the tree and ornaments, one by the boys head and the other by the ladies right side (our left) .  Both sides are like looking through a kaleidoscope.  I've used the clone alot and curves to lighten up the image after I set the white and black points. 
  Any suggestions are appreciated.
                                                                        Mike

Ausimax

Hi Mike,

Its hard to make judgements not having seen the original, what you have done looks OK, the area by the boys head you will probably have to wing it and build up the decoration using elements of the undamaged decorations - the same by the woman, the main thing is the people look good, and its unlikely they will remember the decorations in too much detail.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

nitehawk

Hello Max, 
             Thank you for the impute.  I'm still learning about how far to take things and have a hard time knowing when to stop trying to improve on what I've done already.  Here is the original.
                                             Thanks again
                                                       Mike

Johnboy

Mike,

What you have done looks good. I considered this one but took a different one. Have you looked at the channels to see if there is any clue what is lying under the water damage?  It may give you some idea as to what to clone next or at least what the shapes you might be dealing with. You might continue to clone or use the patch tool on the skirt of the dress. If not successful you may want to consider cropping some at the bottom perhaps just below the woman's hand around the boy's waist. You might crop in on the left to the woman's elbow. That would leave not as much to clone on the edges just the ornament on the tree or what ever is just to the right of the boy's head.

Johnboy

nitehawk

I'm almost ready to send it back but one thing has me wondering.  There are three spots on the ladies face and neck and I'm at a standstill.  Something tells me to leave well enough alone, but I'd like some advice on the mater.  Should I follow my own instincts or should they go :-\ :-\
                                                                       Mike :-\

klassylady25

Personally speaking, I'd have to see a higher resolution of the area to make a call.  They just looks like moles right now.

glennab

Hi Mike

You've done a great job on this one.  As to your dilemma about the spots -- I think the best thing you can do is analyze the areas around the spots on the original and try to discern whether those portions appear to be damaged or normal-looking skin.  It's difficult to tell from downloading your images, because they're low-res, but what I can see of the areas surrounding the spots and the shapes of the pixelated portions, I'd tend to think they're damage.  Good luck getting your "final answer!"

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

schen

It is hard to tell from the low-res file but I believe the spot on the low left jaw is damage.  A mole at this place will not appear that circular.  Just a guess.
Shujen Chen
Windows 10, Photoshop CS6

nitehawk

Thanks everyone for you input.  :up: The file is on it's way back.  I chose to remove the spots.
                                         Mike :up: