• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

In his Sunday Best

Started by coopmj, June 13, 2019, 03:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coopmj

Hi Everyone,

I've still got some cleanup to do here but I'm not happy with the color.  I tried to work with the color from the original and warm it up a touch but I'm wondering if I should have converted to B&W and then colorized?  It needs something and I'm betting you all will know exactly what! Thanks!

Mary

p.s. He sure looks annoyed about sitting for his portrait!  ;D

WIP

Original

Jo Ann Snover

Probably just really hard to sit still for long enough given how long exposures took (and who sits like that with a book held awkwardly upright and closed in one hand!!)

Take a look at this version with edits to your WIP:

I drew some outlines over the boy's hair on the original and you've given him a bit of a haircut! I also think the color is too saturated, so I dialed that back. The other thing is the relationship between the subject and the background - he looks as if he's floating in the void in the WIP so I darkened the background (curves adjustment layer in multiply blend mode and masked)

I made a couple of other small edits - the stool he's sitting on seems to have a defined edge, so I cleaned that up; some of the transitions between boy and background were too sharp so I softened them. See what you think
Jo Ann

coopmj

I think this is awesome, thank you Jo Ann!  The change in the background color makes a huge difference.  (I'll give him back some hair, too!)

Mary

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]