• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

B&G with friends

Started by Marydh, June 01, 2019, 05:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Ann Snover

I see bright spots on the bodice too. Off the top of my head I can't think of a reason you can't see them, but sorting out the why - more than fixing the picture - seems really important.

The only thing I can think of is that your monitor brightness is too high and that the "normal" whites and "bright spots" thus look the same on your screen. But if that were the case, why are you only just seeing a problem?

Did you just upgrade something - monitor, software, monitor profile?
Jo Ann

Shadow

Mary, for this method you reduce the opacity when you paint and then reduce the opacity of the layer that you painted on as well. Does that help? I sampled the dress on the main part for the color. Here's the spots I was referring to.

Jo Ann Snover

If you look at this test chart, can you see each square separately on your monitor:

https://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_sensitivity.html
Jo Ann

Marydh

Holy Kamoly!! It's my monitor!  Thanks you so much for catching this.  I'll work on setting it correctly and check out the white spots.  Goodness.

Marydh

Well, I calibrated my monitor but want to really get into it.  Please take ANOTHER look.   I don't trust anything anymore.  I can't tell about the bodice and arm.  Does it look ok?
BTW, what monitor would you guys recommend?  Those Eizo's look very pretty.
Thanks for everything.

Jo Ann Snover

Glad you figured out where the problem was. I think the big problem with the bride's gown is that it's flat - no highlights or shadows. The satin fabric was very shiny. I did the quickest of cleanups of the original damage on the skirt of her gown and then overlaid a layer with that in luminosity mode over your restore to give back some of the highlight/shadow data. The bodice and sleeve are also without depth/sheen, but that'd take more fixing - I wonder if Bambi has one of the already restored images that could help?

See what you think of this, compared to the above

You could do shadows & highlights by drawing on a layer versus using the original; I just thought this might be easier
Jo Ann

Jo Ann Snover

As far as recommending a monitor, some of that depends on what else you do with your equipment - are you involved in color sensitive work outside of OPR? Eizos are very good but not cheap. My most recent purchase (last year) was BenQ 2700PT. I've read good things about the Dell Monitors (I think) that are capable of calibration, decent quality and reasonable price.
Jo Ann

Marydh

I actually have a Dell.  I just bought a SpyderX Pro that will hopefully solve things. 
I'll do some more work on the gown.  🤓

Jo Ann Snover

There are lots of Dell Monitors though. Here's one (there are more out there) of the comparison articles

https://www.creativebloq.com/buying-guides/best-monitors-for-photo-editing

Unless you think your monitor is dying or seriously deteriorated in its ability to hold its brightness and colors, perhaps just regular calibration is all you need?
Jo Ann

Marydh

That's what I'm thinking. Stay tuned.  Thanks Jo Ann.

Marydh

My goodness this has certainly been a learning process.  Jo Ann that luminosity tip was terrific.
I received my Spyder and hopefully my monitor is calibrated as it should be.
Please take a look again. 
Thanks for everyone's help.
Mary

Jo Ann Snover

So there are no more white spots - you have no idea how tempted I was to start out with a story of strange yellow marks...but I remembered I'm supposed to be an adult and behaved myself :)

The bride's dress is very bright, especially the bodice, so there's no detail of the lace that covers it (no satin as there is on the sleeves). Possibly you can bring the highlights down just a hair so there's some visible detail in the bodice fabric?

The only other thing that caught my eye was the carpet at the bottom of the step - there's some odd wandering in the seam where the bottom of the riser meets the main floor.

Other than that it's looking great
Jo Ann

Marydh

Yeah,  I never know if it's too bright or not.  I'll try to tone it down.  Funny,  when I first started this journey,  I took some of the lace detail on the bodice  from the "cutting the cake" picture and pasted it in sections on this bodice.  Of course that's probably where the white spots came from.  I could try that again?
I'll take care of the wandering carpet.

Oh and thanks for keeping the yellow spots to yourself. 🤓

Jo Ann Snover

The healing brush is often great for making textures - fabric or carpet, best with just tones, not lots of colors - onto a painted surface. This is just an example, using one of my own images

For maximum flexibility have everything on separate layers, with the one where you're making the texture above the others (and the healing brush set to Current & below). You can see how in the examples the colors of the painted area are retained as the texture is added to it.

The other thing is that you can use the rotation settings for the healing brush to flip a source around to make the right lace piece appear at a different angle when you apply its texture. The angles are like a clock, so 90 degrees is turning the object to the right and -90 to the left. You can also increase/decrease the size as you heal, which means a little source pattern can go a long way, especially if the area isn't front and center and very visible.
Jo Ann

Marydh

Hi there.  I used your healing technique, Jo Ann, with a sample from the "cutting cake"  picture.  I didn't see any lace detail on the bodice on the original so I hope my rendition is ok.  On the "cutting cake" picture there was a v shaped section under the bodice as a continuation of the lace.  Again, it didn't show up in the original so I didn't know if I should try to add it or not.
SOOO, what do you think?