• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Two Cuties

Started by Marydh, April 15, 2019, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Ann Snover

I think it's like the difference between reading and proofreading - you need to mentally switch gears when looking for defects in images.

Assuming adequate hardware (i.e. I don't ever try to do that sort of thing on a phone or tablet) and lighting in the room - and after a break from editing (but not a wine break!!) - look at the whole image zoomed way out and then zoom in at 200% (or more) and scan the whole thing.

Sometimes adding an adjustment solely to help see problems can help - for white spots, adding a curves adjustment layer set to multiply blend mode will help; for finding sensor spots Hard Light blend mode works well. The image looks whacky but the flaws jump right out.

The more you do it, the less effort it will take, and after a while, it's hard to not notice these things :)
Jo Ann

Marydh

Great tip Jo Ann.  Thanks

Marydh

Me again.  Trying your technique Jo Ann.  What are sensor spots?

Jo Ann Snover

You would find those in digital photographs when the camera's sensor had small specs of dust on them. Here's an example

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-sensor-cleaning.htm

You won't see this on older film photos, but as a technique, using Hard Light blend mode to emphasize glitches can be useful with similar types of image problems. Sometimes you have to pair that adjustment layer with another Curves Adjustment layer set to Screen (to lighten) or Multiply (to darken) to get the optimal view.
Jo Ann

Marydh

Thanks again Jo Ann. I'll give it a whirl.