• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Two Cuties

Started by Marydh, April 15, 2019, 05:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marydh

Please take a look at this one.  Trees were fun. Let me know what you think.
Thanks,  Mary

Jo Ann Snover

Fun?? You get some sort of patience award for that!

I think there's a ton of good stuff in your restore, but it needs to look less painted and more like a photo. All the tree branch edges are sharp and need to be blurry (you might want to do that on a separate layer to preserve all the work in the original restoration (one way would be to set the blur brush to all layers on the new layer). Same thing where the older girl's hair meets her bow.

There are no shadows on the girls' dresses and the original shadows were very dark and hard. In addition to making a layer with shadows, I brightened some of the girls' dresses - Curves adjustment layer set to screen blend mode.

The grass has lost its shadow tones (which I brought back with two adjustment layers; one curves set to hard light blend mode and the other a Hue/Saturation to remove the overly saturated tones that produced). I put the reflection of the tree branches into the river with your tree branches flipped and skewed and set to soft light blend mode - it's not the same as the original exactly, but you could paint it in if you preferred.

I did a few of the tree branches edge softness just for illustration, but not all. See what you think (flip my version on and off above yours and you'll see where I made changes)

Jo Ann

Mhayes

Eh Mary, I hate to break this to you, but I think you have crossed over to the over side of sanity. Take a breather and have your family stage an intervention. Or, have an insane amount of fun working this one. I'm not for sure that gray-blue in the ditch is water. If it is I would not make so vivid a blue as I find my eyes going to it and the sky above. I think that perhaps the sky would be reflecting in the water and that it will have variations in shades.have Kudos for all that you had accomplished.

:up:
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Beautiful restore, I also love Jo Ann's shading tips!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh

Thank you all.  I'll get to work on all the good tips. 🤓

Marydh

Margie,  family already knows I've gone to the other side.  They've given up. 😱

Shadow

Really nice so far Mary. Look forward to the final.

Marydh

See what you ladies think of this version.   I took a sky/tree layer from a while ago that still had damage and then overlayed that with a reduced opacity which took down some of the sharpness then I blurred.  Hope the grass is ok.  I actually used color burn.  Seemed to work better for me.
Thanks for the help.
Mary

Marydh

Lynnya

Hi Mary.. great job so far.. maybe the edges of the dresses and legs etc seem a tad sharp to me? others may have better input.. wonderful work! :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

I like the tree branches much better.

I agree with Lynn about the dress edges and I think the grass looks blotchy - did you apply your darkening selectively? Perhaps feather the mask a bit more? I still would go for darker shadows in the grass, I think. And from the girls' legs/dresses - it's very harsh sunlight

There are some details around the neckline of the taller girl's pinafore dress that don't quite match the original, but those are minor cleanups.

You'll be dreaming about tree branches!
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Mary, I like this one much better and a few more tweaks and it will be good to go.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Well, I think I did all the tweaking.  I believe it might be time for an intervention.
What do you all think now?

Jo Ann Snover

There's a little white spot on the taller girl's neck that keeps catching my eye, but otherwise I think they look good.

Just make sure the next image has no tree branches :)
Jo Ann

Candice

Take a look at the grass between the girls shoes and shadows.  It's blurred and the rest is more defined.  What a toughy!!
Candice