• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Dancing the night away

Started by Marydh, March 19, 2019, 05:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marydh

Hi all,
I haven't done anything to this yet except take out some of the red and use screen on the background.  I would love your opinion.  Too much screen, too little?  Do the four dancing people need more color?  Oh, I'm thinking the girl's
dress is pink, yes?  It seems like it in another picture.
Thanks a bunch, Mary

Mhayes

Mary, normally I would go with the color correction, but in this case there will be individually corrections needed. I look at the first photo and assume that the brightness is from a flash or maybe the lighting. I like its brightness whereas the 2nd seems a little dull. I do think the clothes are right to bring out the whites. Tho older woman or the young woman on your right. I could see if the family remembers.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks Margie.  Yeah, I liked the brightness of the original as well.  So I think I'll leave them as is with maybe a little tweaking here and there  but keep the screening I did on the background.

Jo Ann Snover

I have another picture from this family (bride & groom dancing together) and I think the bride's dress is white, not pink, although her bodice might be pink. That might explain the older woman's choice of a pink top with white-ish skirt.

I think you've lost some of the contrast that the original had, but you can bring it back, I think. I did a version from the original that mirrored what I did with the image I'm restoring. Take a look at that compared to your version

The color is a little colder that your version. Even with that, the groom's suit still looked a tad pink, so I added a masked black and white layer (black mask) painting in a medium gray on the white shirt and tux to remove the remaining pink. The other thing is that my contrast adjustment left the whites too bright, so I used another curves adjustment layer to tone them back down

See what you think. I'm only just starting on my restore, but I can post a version of it if it helps. I did grab your original as I could use the older man's face as he's in the background in my image but totally mangled. Very helpful - thank you!
Jo Ann

Marydh

Thanks Jo Ann.   
I definitely need to whiten up the background.
Margie, could you check and see what color the two ladies are wearing?

Shadow

Good luck Mary. Know it'll be good!

Mhayes

Yes Mary, will try to contact the family. Good start.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks Margie,  that would be great.

Lynnya

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Marydh

Thanks Lynn.  Looks like I'm gonna need it. 🤓

Lynnya

Mhayes

Mary, sorry for taking so long. Here is the reply from the owner on an email I got today.

It is so kind of you all to do this. We appreciate your efforts so much.

My bodice was pink & the skirt was white trimmed in pink ribbon on the edges of the ruffles.

Auntie Alice wore a pale pink top & a white skirt.
My husband's tux was all white.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

That helps me with my restore too - thanks for getting the information for us.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Love this image.. can't wait to see the final.. good luck Mary  :up:

Marydh

Oh yay!  Thanks Margie.  Looks like you were right Jo Ann!
Lynn, I can't wait to see the final too.  :0)