• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Senior/prom portrait

Started by coopmj, January 02, 2019, 04:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coopmj

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday.  It seems like several of us are working on pictures of the same young man and here's mine. I still need to do a little final cleanup, but please let me know what your eagle eyes spy.

Thanks!

Mary

Original

WIP

Jo Ann Snover

Holidays aren't over yet until my daughter's back at school on Monday and I've taken the Christmas stockings down from the fireplace! So I'm having a wonderful holiday, thank you :)

I think there are a couple of things that look different to me in the original from your WIP. I thought pictures might make things clearer:

I drew some outlines over the blue channel (I make a Channel Mixer adjustment layer that is set to monochrome and use 0% red and green with 100% blue; keeps file sizes smaller than copying and pasting the channel as a pixel layer). I think I see the jacket's overall shape, shawl collar shape and shirt collar and placket have differences from your WIP.

Some don't matter much, but the ones that make the shirt collar look as if it's down below the bow tie and how the jacket edges meet need to be fixed. On the outlines, I've made some yellow ones showing shadows on the original (i.e. ones I think were not damage but were in the original photo. I put my outlines over your WIP to show the areas of difference (let me know if you want just the outlines so you can plunk them on your file and I can post them).

There are a couple of features on the young man's face that aren't the same as in the original - the eyebrows, and he's lost a little bit of ear and jawline on the right of the photo.

I think the WIP is too red and I've shown two curves adjustment layers I used to set the color and overall brightness and contrast.

Otherwise he's looking so much better!
Jo Ann

coopmj

Thank you Jo Ann!  You always help me make my pictures better.  I'll work on these corrections.  Glad you're still in holiday mode. (For me there were definitely years when my holiday seemed to START once my kids went back to school...)  :)  Enjoy these last few days.

Thanks again,

Mary