• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Young Man

Started by Alvo, December 21, 2018, 10:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvo

As bad as I am with color, thought I'd try this anyway, suggestions please.

Alvin Herron

Alvo

Now that I have posted I can see the cheek is to red
Alvin Herron

Jo Ann Snover

Not just the cheek - the whole image is way too red. Take a look at these comparisons to get an idea

I'm assuming you're not done with the repairs to damage, so I'm only noting color.

The Multiply layer (a curves adjustment layer set to multiply blend mode) is just to darken the forehead and shirt slightly so that the Contrast layer doesn't blow out those highlights.

See what you think
Jo Ann

Alvo

Not sure what you mean by "set a gray point". I selected a gray point during white balance. You mean select it again in curves?
Alvin Herron

Jo Ann Snover

I was just describing how I used a curves adjustment layer to adjust the colors. There are many ways to do this in Photoshop - and I don't know what tool you are using when you say "...during white balance." Was that a Color Balance adjustment layer? That's another option.

What I wanted to highlight was that I generally don't use a black and white point to set colors (because so many images don't have black or white points in them). I find something neutral if I can and use the gray point eye dropper in a Curves adjustment layer. If I can't find anything neutral, I will manually adjust the individual channels of the curves adjustment layer using eyeballs (and a calibrated monitor) to judge the look.

Some people prefer using Levels to curves and that works too. No need to use multiple ways.
Jo Ann

Alvo

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I use a threshold layer to determine black and white points then a new layer filled with 50% gray set to difference in conjunction with a threshold layer to determine the gray point. There are just to many different ways to do the same thing in PS... I copied your explanation photo into PS and zoomed into the layers panel you added, but still could not make it out. I am guessing you used the curves layer set to multiply and masked out every thing except the highlight on the forehead and jacket.
Alvin Herron

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Alvo on December 21, 2018, 01:44:29 PM
I am guessing you used the curves layer set to multiply and masked out every thing except the highlight on the forehead and jacket.

Other way around, but you've got the idea. I have some actions that make these layers so I don't have to repeat myself and things get named with less typing, but...

The curves adjustment layer is set to multiply blend mode and has a black (all off) mask. You then paint in grays - darker or lighter as needed - with a very soft-edged brush. Gaussian blur on the mask if there's a lot of painting and the edges begin to show. You do the opposite with a curves adjustment layer set to screen blend mode when things need to be lightened just a little in certain areas.

The threshold method works really well when you have things in the image that really should end up black and white (even with your black and white points set to something other than 0 and 255). It works less well with lower contrast images. Bottom line is that you have to get something that looks right and sometimes the numerical methods - for all sorts of clear and understandable reasons - don't get you anything useful.
Jo Ann

Alvo

I actually prefer selecting a black mask and then painting white where you want to apply the adjustment. Have no idea why I didn't realize that is what you did. I am just not very observant sometimes. I restored a photo for a friend yesterday of some football players. I zoomed in to 200% to correct damage and take out some spots. When I sent him the photo back he asked if I had noticed anything funny about the photo and I told him no. The football players were barefoot. Even though I zoomed to 200% I did not notice it. I will have to try using different shades of gray to
paint on a mask. I usually just use different opacity settings of white.
Alvin Herron

Alvo

Alvin Herron

Jo Ann Snover

Better, but you overshot the mark and went too far towards the Cyan side. Take a look at these color samplers from the cheek highlight and the shadow on the nose. You can set the sample point to display in CMYK (the image is still RGB) and you have cyan numbers that are much higher than caucasian skin typically is - it should be 1/3 to 1/5 of the magenta & yellow. Magenta & yellow should be about the same, usually with yellow a little higher. Light skin should have no black (K)

There is more information about typical values for skin here:

https://pixelationblog.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/correcting-skin-color-skin-tones-age-and-ethnicity/

There's still a lot of damage showing, so I assume that's still to be worked on?
Jo Ann

Alvo

I am more concerned with color than damage right now although I did go ahead and take I hope most of the damage out. I have never used CMKY color for skin corrections before, I know blue should be the lowest value in skin tones with red the most in RGB just didn't check it. Need to make a mental note to check that from now on. Thanks for the write up, I will save that one.

Is the existing damage in the coat or backgroud?
Alvin Herron

Jo Ann Snover

Color is looking much better, although the jacket shadows are a bit blue - might need to use a color blend mode layer just on the jacket.

The damage is mostly on the jacket, especially the shoulder, but there's also some in the hair, spots on the back of the hand and you've smoothed out his 5 o'clock shadow, which should stay (it's not damage, although there's a little damage on that side of the face)
Jo Ann

Alvo

My attempt to put the 5 o clock shadow back. I think I will stop for today, getting frustrated, seems the more I do the worse it gets. How does the jacket look?

Alvin Herron

Candice

Alvo, short of using a bit of paint to take away the discolor on the face, I don't see anything major wrong with his face.  The tux is just going to take time.  I love your background!  Here my little bit of play...

Candice

Alvo

Thank you, will get back on it when my nerves settle down..LOL
Alvin Herron