• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

PPeters Photo

Started by Alvo, October 29, 2018, 04:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvo

Any comments or suggestions on this before I proceed?

Alvin Herron

Lynnya

No it's lookin good so far.. good luck I'll look forward to your final.. sweet baby huH?
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Alvo

Thanks, yep, sweet baby. Makes you wonder what kind of disaster it went through and if he is ok.
Alvin Herron

Shadow

Good luck with your new one.

Jo Ann Snover

Very cute baby!

I don't think your colors are right - the dungarees are cyan and the baby's skin looks a bit magenta and gray. Take a look at this version (just for color; I didn't clean up any damage)

Assuming you're doing things in layers and non-destructively, you should be able to adjust the tones and keep all your cloning so far. After getting the overall colors right, the reds were a bit oversaturated, so I added a hue/saturation adjustment layer and pulled down just the reds until they didn't "glow"

Here's an example of the colors of these dungarees (typically)
Jo Ann

Alvo

OK, thanks, I will work on the color of the coveralls. I saw the red just hadn't addressed it yet, was going to get all the damage out then hit the reds. I used one of the channels because it showed less damage. Will doing that affect the skin and coverall colors? Thanks again.
Alvin Herron

Jo Ann Snover

I assume you were using the blue channel. It does have less damage, but it will alter all the colors unless you take additional steps.

You can correct it - some combination of masking it out, reducing the opacity, and overlaying layers in color blend mode to get the right colors back. However, given that you can see everything through the damage and the face is largely intact, I think it'd be less work to color correct the whole image and clone the damage out.

The blue channel is invaluable when you can't see anything of some part of the detail in the RGB image as it lets you get that detail back. The "price" of getting that back is that you have to correct colors anywhere you use the blue channel for anything other than being the blue components of the image.

Up to you to figure out the least work to get to a good end result.
Jo Ann

Alvo

I don't know about you but I think this looks a whole lot better. Thank you.

Alvin Herron

Jo Ann Snover

Sorry to have to say so, but I think it needs more work.

Look at the bright cyan areas - there's damage as well as a color shift.  You'll need to clone to get the stripes back.

The boy's hair on the left is a different color and is sweeping forward vs. down and back

There are grey blotches on the boy's chin and ear.

The metal button holding the shoulder strap on upper left is damaged - you can clone from the intact one lower down

Look at the boy's legs at 100% or 200% and you'll see all sorts of texture and various colors. It should look similar to the undamaged skin under his elbow.

It'll take you some time, but you'll get there!
Jo Ann

Alvo

Oh yes, I know it needs more work, haven't gotten to those repairs yet. I was just reposting to see if you thought I had corrected the color in the coveralls and skin tones well enough. I also saw that the background color changed on me during the color corrections, was to late to mess with it last night. This wasn't meet to be a final ready for the distributor. Thanks
Alvin Herron

Alvo

Thanks for pointing out the grey blotches on his skin. Is there a way to avoid that when using the clown tool or is it better just to copy a good section of skin? Also, should I take the red tint in the hair out or do you think that is his natural hair color? Thanks
Alvin Herron

Jo Ann Snover

That's a lovely typo - "...using the clown tool..." :)

The problem with the striped dungarees is that you have darker blue with cyan stripes vs darker blue with grubby white. You'll need to get the overall colors right in the non-damaged areas with whatever method you're using.

As far as the gray blotches on the chin, you need to repair from good skin with similar color and texture if you can. In cases where you can't, you can paint with the right colors (which will look flat and awful at first) and then use the healing brush to apply texture to the color from another skin area that's undamaged. When painting with colors, sometimes using a bit of gaussian blur on the colors after painting and before "texturing" with the healing brush will smooth out the transitions from shade to shade.

I think his hair is a chestnut brown, so there is quite a bit of red in it. Take a look at this other thread with the same boy. The shadows on his face, around his eyes, at his hairline etc. all look very red - that's an indication that the reds are a bit oversaturated (i.e. not just in the hair)
Jo Ann

Alvo

LOL, sometimes I think it is the clown tool the way I use it..LOL.. I am working on it. Might be a few days I have to go out of town. I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with this group and the detail that they achieve in restoring these photos. I had several friends look at this before I posted and nobody mentioned the direction of the hair. Hopefully, one day I want have to ask so many questions. Thanks again.
Alvin Herron

Lynnya

Hey Alvo.. we've all been where you are and struggled on thru.. you'll do it!! Have a good trip.. we'll all be here when you get back..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Ditto what Lynn said and also, you never know when the question you ask and the feedback you get is what puts it over the top for another member of the group who might not feel comfortable asking for help but checks out the forum for ideas. Have a good trip and we'll see when you get back.  :)