• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

My first photo

Started by macieklew, March 05, 2007, 07:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macieklew

Original:

And what I've done so far:

Please, tell me what do you think. Is it good direction? Do I need to do something else?
Thank you,
Maciek

kiska

Looks good, so far! I think it would help if you did some "spotting". Get all the white/black spot out with the healing brush. There also seems to be a color shift along her right sleeve, up the curtain and the bottom fourth of the pic.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

david_gr

You might want to try using levels to true up the colors.  I have had pretty good luck with that.  Just add a levels adjustment layer, and use the white and balck eyedroppers on the white and black sections of the photo.  The challenge is finding a gray area but trial and error should get you close or you don't have to use use the gray eyedropper.  Using an adjustment layer, you can delete it with no harm done if it does not work out.

I am fairly new to OPR as well.  Good luck.   :)

David Gr

RosyBijou

Those adjustment layers are such powerful and non-destructive tools... here's a "recipe" that I learned in a Photoshop course last fall:  http://picasaweb.google.com/RosyBijou/Ed2GoIntermediatePhotoshopClass/photo#5003185633310278786  (easier to just look at the screenshot than to type it out...) (do you use photoshop?)

It works great for images such as this that have some color shifting.  (The color balance is one just to play with till you settle on something that looks good--- if you're not familiar with how the sliders interact with each other--it can be a frustrating tool).  I'd do Kiska's de-spotting first then David's levels--if you think the colors could use some warming up, give the other two adjustment layers a try...  You can always delete the adjustment layers if you don't like them...

Another hint, if you press the alt key when you've got an adjustment layer menu open, the cancel button turns into a reset button--letting you start over without having to close out and restart the process...
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

macieklew

Thanks a lot for yuor help.
Yes - I use Photoshop - I'm going to do all you adviced me and upload result soon ...
Thank you again
Maciek

glennab

Hi SPD

It's great to see you on the forum again.  I just wanted to add that to find your neutral/mid-tone point with the eyedropper, either in levels or curves, you can click on something that should be white.  That's definitely a neutral, and I've found it works as well as finding something grey (which can be a tough determination at times).  Or - his belt looks neutral.  That might be worth a try.

I think your biggest challenge will be getting the spots out! I've found that the clone and healing tools  work best for those areas.

Good luck!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

macieklew

Hello,

thank you :)
and it's nice for me to see you again.
I'll give it a try with healing tools and color balance. Thanks for the tips.

SPD :)

macieklew

What do you think now about levels, colors and saturation?

glennab

Hi SPD

I think your colors on the inner portion of the photo are great.  All you need to do is mask the outer area that's yellowed and get it to match the rest of the photo.  I'd use a layer mask.  Make a soft, feathered selection around the good color, mask it, adjust the yellowed part to coincide with the good areas, and then all you'll need to do is clone/heal out the dots.

I know, easy for me to say!  Good luck!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

macieklew

Hi Glenna

thanks for your advice.
Yes - easy to say :)

I'll give it a try - I'm sure I'll be able to do something ...

Thank you
SPD

macieklew

What do you think now?
I know - it's still a lot of work to do, but is it ok so far or something wrong?

Thanks
PSD :)

glennab

Hi SPD

You've gotten a lot of the yellow cast out of the photo -- that's certainly an improvement!  There's still the darker area at the bottom and on the woman's left sleeve as we look at her.  And I'm not sure now whether that's shadow or more color cast. Anyone with younger, sharper eyes want to jump in at this point?

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Where are the original pictures hiding?  :o)

macieklew

Hmmm ... where are they?   ???

klassylady25

Just a thought, but did you know that if you delete the pictures to replace it with one left on the board that the link here also goes Poof!!  To avoid that problem you simply need to add new links as you go along and not delete that which you have posted.   That's one solution.