• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A Hair Problem

Started by philbach, February 19, 2018, 08:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

Hi.  Enclosed is my latest photo.  I needed to draw lots of hair. However things don't seem to be going so well and I am now stuck.   What do you think should be done?  It is a beautiful photo.  Thanks

phil

Hannie

Phil, the hair looks fine to me, just the edges that meet the background need a bit smudging.

Her head seams to be "floating a little, what if you give her a hit of shoulders?

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

phil

Shadow

philbach

Hi again.  I smudged a little, and placed a sweater on the lady and leveled off the background some

phil

kiska

Maybe the shoulders need to come up a little?

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Bambi

Are those clone marks on our left side of her hair?

When I have to fill the background, I select the subject, then Enlarge the Selection about 33 pixels and Feather it 11-22 pixels. When the Inverse is selected and the background is filled, you leave the delicate transition area between background and subject. Then I repair the damage to that area along with the subject.

A very careful use of the Content-Aware Patch Tool just along the sharp edge can sometimes help blend them. If the result is too much, before you do anything else go to Edit>Fade Patch Tool. Gives you a slider to fine tune the strength of the last adjustment.

Tess (Tassie D)

You can see her hair quite well in the blue channel.

Tess Cameron
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

Well I did use the blue channel to restore the hair.  I had to draw most of the hair.  Bambi a good suggestions about how to fill in a background.  Thanks everyone.
phil

Lynnya

Hi Phil.. I had another idea which may or may not work.. I copied the blue channel onto a new layer masked out her face then colored the hair with a color layer..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

philbach

Lynnya, That is a good idea and I did use that technique to bring the blue channel up to a separate layer to use it.  To do that I create a new layer and select it.  I then use apply image and select the blue channel of the background image as the source and that places the blue channel in the new layer.  But in this image you couldn't do the hair without using the blue channel.  On my latest iteration,  I did use a smudge tool with a multi dot brush on a layer above to smooth out the clone marks near her right ear and sent it on its way.  Kiska suggested I raise the shoulders some and in retrospect the shoulders were too low.  But how high is correct.  Ha. 

But thanks every one for your help. 
phil