• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

GlidmeyerR_11_10

Started by zapphnath, February 28, 2007, 07:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapphnath

Those are some nice new photos that were just posted to work on - and some rather difficult one's, as well.
I grabbed one that I thought I could do something with and came up with this:

I had to re-create the bowtie and put some detail in the shirt, but I feel that if I do too much, I'm going to end up with that "painted" look.  I did soften his face, a bit, and used one ear in place of the other.  His hairline, on his left side, still looks a little "off", but...

What do y'all think?

GP

OK you asked for it  ;)
here is my opinion: his left ear looks a little to dark ( ?) and also somewhat smaller than his right ear. His face looks a little fuller than in the original - maybe some shading thing and you are right about the hairline (isn't hair i always a bitch to do!).The bowtie looks great. He has wired eyes, at least it looks that way in this small version.Overall - you did a fine job cleaning it up!
:up:

Gerlinde
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

melrcomp

wow! nice job! :up:
I'll have to agree w/ Gerlinde, his face looks a little fuller than in the original, especially on his right side. And maybe needs a little shading on the left side of the nose. As for the hairline i think maybe you came in a little too much. Just back it up a tad and you should have it. It doesn't look like it is off by much.
overall good job though. I was scared of that one! lol  :D
- Mel

Dave

Zapp,

Great job so far. I would have to echo the previous two opinions about the fullness of the face. The original looked slimmer.

Keep up the solid work.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

glennab

Hi Z

Ditto the face comments.  Also, in the restoration he looks a bit crosseyed to me.  The main thing is that he's listing a bit to starboard.  Probably happened when the photo was taken.  I'd make him upright so he doesn't look as if he's on the Titanic.

Nice work!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

zapphnath

Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I've taken what you've said into consideration and made some further adjustments.
I thinned out his face, a bit, and added some shadows.  I resized the replaced ear and turned the photo a little to stand him up straight (although I didn't want to turn it too much because - who knows? - the boy might be a "leaner"  :) ).
The hairline is coming along well, I suppose.  The damage pretty much obliterated where the original hairline is supposed to be so I'm just "Making it up" as I go along.  As for the eyes...they don't look quite right to me, either, but I don't want to make too many changes - maybe he is cross-eyed?
I'll post an updated version, a little later.
Thanks, again, for your input.

EDIT: Here's the updated pic

GP

zapphnath, I think it looks great  :up:
Since the picture is in a round frame, the owners can tild it wich ever direction they want him to lean!  ::)
If you are not completely sick to hear any more suggestions...., his right arm looks a little skinny.
G.
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

klassylady25

Have you thought about adding the bevel back to the frame?   It was there and your prints have it removed.   :)

zapphnath

Okay, I did a little more work on his face, to smooth it out some and fix his left eye.
Sometimes you need to step away from a project, for a while, to get a fresh look at it, later.  When I came back to this, I saw all kinds of spots that needed help.
Since I had to "fake" that line that shows where his arm is, it was a simple matter to move it over to make the arm bigger.  Thanks GP.
Also, I added a little shadow around the inside of the frame, as per Klassylady's suggestion, to simulate the seperation between the photo and frame.
I cropped this example image to make it easier to see - the original is still intact.

Unless anyone sees anything else, I think he's ready to go home.

klassylady25

How about just inside his ears there is a line that stands out in the upper portion.  I didn't see it in the original. 

One small question... are you going to go back for the rest of his family?  I think I  saw similar ones when I was browsing and since you did such a great job... Could be on a roll.   ::)  just a thought

zapphnath

I did notice that - just after posting the pic, last night.  It's already fixed in the real copy.  Thanks for pointing it out, though.

As for those other two - I'm thinking about it.  I already have the frame and background done, so I'd just need to get the people, themselves, to look like the boy.  If anyone else wants to tackle them and would like a little head start, let me know and we'll figure out a way to get the .PSD to you.

Later, this evening, I'm going to take another look at it, to see if I can find anything else I want to fix, then send him on home.

glennab

Hi Z

This young man looks ready to head home.  I appreciate the way you kept the "antique" texture but did a wonderful clean-up.  Kudos!

Glenna
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

cmpentecost

Hi Zap,

Nice job on this one!  Are you sure you don't want to go ahead and tackle the others from the beginning??!

Christine