• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Opinion on WIP GarbertR Girl on chair

Started by andrewturner1983, January 17, 2018, 09:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewturner1983

Hi was just wondering if anyone had some advice.  Have done a fair bit of work on the picture but something still seems a little off and i cant quite put my finger on it.  Hoping some fresh eyes my help.
Original

WIP

Mhayes

Andrew, you are off to a good start. While this photo looks like sepia, I believe it was originally black/white. I think what you are finding off may be her face. You did a good job clearing up where the dark shading crossed her face. What stands out now is that her face is blotchy. See if you can smooth her skin texture out.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

I'm having trouble viewing the images. Not sure if it's PostImage or just me.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

andrewturner1983

Links seem to work for me.  Not sure why they don't work for you.  Not sure what I can do. 

andrewturner1983

Have changed some of the highlights and shadows of the face which may have been causing the blotching. 

Shadow

Mhayes

Andrew, what bothers me about her face is actually showing in the original and I wonder if part of the ink was washed away. I realize that there would be highlights on her face from the sun, but on your left on her face the light part that is shaped like a boomerang doesn't look right. On the other side there is darker areas around her eyes and then lightness elsewhere that looks like a mask. I think it is great what you have done and I'm not sure if I'm right on my interpretation of how it would have looked. I played with it and tried to darken areas on her face and also tried to have it blend together. Probably too dark.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

andrewturner1983

Thanks Shadow.  Thanks as well Margie I'm going to see if there are any reference shots and maybe have another look at the original see if s different set of tool can bring out more information.  Will update you all when I have more. 

Lynnya

Good luck Andrew.. this is a toughie.. :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

andrewturner1983

So I have tried using the original picture and blended it with the repair and added some of the shadowing back in does it look like its a better repair?

Thanks for your assistance.

Hannie

Getting better all the time Andrew, almost there!
Place the original and your WIP next to each other and use a 50% Gray soft light layer over your work to lighten/darken a little more.  Keep looking back at the original for guidance.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

andrewturner1983