• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

From the Desk of Klassylady

Started by klassylady25, February 25, 2007, 12:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klassylady25

Glenna, or anyone, are there any good links on CMYK.  It's interesting to work in, but it's a new "learning curve"  I'm working with it like a blind man feeling an elephant and making guesses at to what it looks like.  All information gladdly welcome.

Hugs,
C

glennab

Hi Candy

CMYK works pretty much like RGB in Photoshop, but with a smaller color gamut.  We can see more with transmitted light (monitors, tvs, etc), which is rendered in RGB than we can with reflective printed material, which is the realm of CMYK.  I've worked more with CMYK because my field is design for print.  Sometimes CMYK is maddening, because something created in RGB can look lovely and vibrant, but when converted to CMYK it looks muddy, because it doesn't handle blues or oranges well.  In fact at one time, and maybe there are printers who work with it, there was talk of a process called hexachrome, which added green and orange to the CMYK to allow for better color.  I haven't heard about it in a long time.

As far as manipulation in CYMY channels, it works just as RGB does, with the exception of having the extra black channel.  My experience is that one advantage with CYMK channels where the restorations are concerned is having that extra channel to look at and manipulate or combine with the others to try to pull up detail.  To be honest, I was amazed at what I got with the yellow channel on your sailor.  If I remember correctly all I did was darken it a bit with levels.

Googling "process colors" or "color web printing" might give you more information if you're interested.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Thanks for the reply.  That explains it well.  I will look also look through my reference books now that I'm home from a day with my grandson. 

Have a grand weekend!! 

C :hug:

klassylady25

http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?image=calvertg438x10dpadjgr0.jpg

I've placed the last link so that you can look it over in full size.  Let me know if you see anything that could stand improving. 

With use of CMYK.

klassylady25

Original

pcraft

You do like working the toughies, don't you Candy?   :cool:
I'm just wondering if you have a look through channels, if you might find
one of them showing more detail than the others?  Then try pasting it
over your working file and adjusting the opacity and/or blend modes..

Not sure if it might help or not...  Remember, Photoshop has mutiple "Undo's"
:up:

Robert

glennab

Hi Candy -- I hate to be a pain in the neck, but I see considerable disparity between the original and your restoration.  I duped and multiplied the image 6 or 7 times and got the attached.  Maybe it'll help.

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

kiska

I think his right ear is a little off.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

klassylady25

Adjustments made.

glennab

Hi Candy

Much, much closer!  A few things I'd work on:  I think his nose is a little straighter, his mouth slightly fuller, and his left eye as we see him needs to be a bit rounder.

Something that didn't strike me until now is the "hair" on his forehead.  I wonder if it's damage, because the 3 little "sprigs" don't seem to match the rest of his hair style.

You may call me "Picky Paula!"  These guys are so tough!

G'night & hugs!

Glenna

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

Picky picky picky!!!    :P But I loves ya girl!!   :hug:  How bout now? 

klassylady25

glennab

Hi Candy

Your new sailor looks good, except that he's a bit blown out.  I'm wondering if Kenny's sandwich technique would bring back a little more tone and detail.

I'm still having a problem with the other handsome guy.  I superimposed the original darkened image over your restoration and I think his face is still to narrow, he needs the little bit of shadow under his lower lip, and the left eye still bothers me.  If you place one  image over the other and then click on and off of one of the layers, you can see the disparity.  It's hard for me to be so critical after all your work, and I'd feel much better if someone else would jump in and either tell me I'm full of bunk or verify what I'm seeing.

Love ya, even tho I'm still being a pain!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

kstruve

Candy,

I'll second Glenna's comments on the sailor and the young man.

With the sailor: the whites do look a little blown out.  Don't be afraid to let an old photograph be an old photograph.  Also, I wouldn't use the Median or Dust and Scratches filter on it as it causes noticeable posterization and loss of detail.

With the young man:  His face has lost a lot of it's shading, especially on his left side.  His eyes are now both lacking the eyelid folds that we all have.  The other thing that I notice is that his shoulders have become very sloped and narrow.  I've drawn over Glenna's enhanced version to show you what I mean.  Also, I would avoid adding the canvas-like textures on these.  Try to preserve the photographic quality.  If you add any texture, I would add very subtle monochromatic grain on a separate multiply layer, then blur it slightly.

Kurt