• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

From the Desk of Klassylady

Started by klassylady25, February 25, 2007, 12:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klassylady25

I thought about the matting.  There is a very small portion of one in the original and the reason that mine is larger is that dang oval thingymajiggy is hard had a mind of it's own.   :mad:   BUT... I think I'll try the blending of the two frames.  As for beveling the exterior, if it's under a frame edge, that won't matter will it.  Then again, they owners could remate the entire print and that would make the bevel cool!!   ::) 

Ooooo so many things to think about.  Back to the drawing board!!   How 'bout this compromise?

klassylady25

After looking at the picture I can I am confident that it can go home.  Thank you for all your suggestions. 

Hugs,
C
  :up:

klassylady25

glennab

Candy, I love the colors in the re-do of the streetcar.  That was what I envisioned.  Looks great!

I copied down your sailor and did two dupes of the original layer set to multiply.  The thing that really brought out was his eyes.  Everything else is too dark, but some of the detail is more evident -- for what it's worth!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

I'm following you and now I have to find out the color of his kerchief.  Suppose there's any navy men here?  My son helped me with the ribbons, but I'd like to check on that too.

Well off to work I go.

C :up2:

kstruve

Candy,

Your streetcar painting turned out very nice.  As far as the sailor goes, whew, there's a lot of missing information on his head!  This is going to take a pretty good educated guess on your part.  You might want to search for reference photos of sailor's haircuts of the 1940's and 50's.  I'm not sure why you need to know the color of his kerchief though.  This is a sepia-toned black and white photo.

Kurt

klassylady25

The sailor is wearing a cover.  I know what the Army men call the basic cover but have no clue what the Navy man does.  Sepia?!  Not so sure about that So may convert it to B/W.   Thanks for your thoughts.  I've only started over about 12 million times.  But I shall sally forth!! 

Hugs,
C

klassylady25

Let me know what you see.

Hugs,
Candice

GP

Hi Klassylady  ^-^
the one thing that jumped out on me was his hand. Have another look at the original, you don't see actually his fingers, only the back of his hand is visible. And I think his cap ( or what ever you call his head gear ) looks different to me too, I think it should be higher or so. I hope that helps you, you are definitely on you way to get it back to life. :up2:
You seem to like those old black and white ones like myself. It's very tricky to get them right, but well worth the effort.
Gerlinde
PS CS5, PSE9, XP, Windows 7 -64bit

klassylady25

This is the next installment.  Note that the cover is just about the right eye (stage left).  That will stay.  Agree that the hand is still off, as is the smile, so I'm working on there.  Had to step away from the puzzle for a bit.  I do have the ribbons back in place and the one thing that I find so very hard is this:  how can I avoid aging a person with the work?
Sometimes that seems to happen.  Hmmm? :-\

kstruve

Candice,

Yeah you're right, he is looking a little older and less "happy."  In my opinion, much of the original image can do without being touched at all, or very minimally.  Other areas need a bunch of clone-stamping and reconstruction, and others still need complete replacement.  I don't know if this ridiculous-looking picture I'm attaching will be utterly baffling or somewhat helpful, but these are the zones I'm talking about.  The areas tinted red should be left alone or at most, receive very slight fixes (the no-fly zones).  The areas tinted green need to be cleaned up.  The areas in blue need be replaced all together.  I think what happens sometimes is we get to painting and clone-stamping and we end up doing this over the entire image to make it look like the restored areas.  What we should do is make the restored areas look like the undamaged (or relatively undamaged) areas and leave the undamaged areas pretty much alone.

Kurt

P.S.  This is pretty much the hat he's wearing:

klassylady25

Thank you.  Yes, your coloration made sense.  I believe that I followed your suggestions  so check 'em out.  And will probably do a little more tweaking before he goes home, though not to much.   ;)

As for the cover; I do have your example that in my 'uniform' folder but felt that the tilt of the cover wasn't right. I'll stay with this one.  Utilizing the 'warp' feature helped.  I did a little more work on the facial area, but am to the point that more will be less.  As you can see the ribbons are also placed.  http://www.usmedals.com/prodpixLarge/f080.jpg - philipine liberation, http://www.usmedals.com/prodpixLarge/f050.jpg - aslatic pacific campange, http://www.usmedals.com/prodpixLarge/f049.jpg - american campaign.

Can you see more?   I'm just about ready to send him home.

Hugz,
Candice

glennab

Hi Candy

My perception of this sailor is that he's much younger than he appears in your final.  I played around with channels and color modes and got the attached from the CMYK yellow channel.  I think it brings out his visage a bit clearer than the original does.  I don't know if it'll help, but worth a look, I think.

Hugz
GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

klassylady25

:up:  It's worth a look.  Definately.  Thanks Glenna.  For me, that has been  one of the hardest things for me at this point... Maintaining the age.  Just one zig or zag, makes a difference.   :wow:

glennab

Candy - I know what you mean.  I've played with several posted restorations-in-progress, and it's amazing how much just a slight change in shading can alter a person's looks.  I keep hoping that my book on LAB color is going to help with some of these puzzles, but not so far.  I won't give up, though, because the examples in the book are amazing!  Good luck with this handsome guy!

G'night!

GG

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)