• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Chris' restoration.

Started by Crispy77, June 26, 2006, 01:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy77

Any feedback would be great. I had a lot of fun working on this one. Thanks.

Original:

Fixed:

Mark Wilson

Aaaaah, man! You did a really nice job on that.

A very 'Crisp' restoration  ;)

-Mark.
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams 1902-1984.

capriccio

Very nice restoration! Love the background. A little playing with the shadow/highlight feature (in CS or CS2, if you have it) on a duplicate layer (playing with masking and opacity, too) might help correct the slightly observable streaks on the bodice and upper chest. Because it's a wedding portrait, it might benefit from a little further retouching by softening and reducing contrast in the face. Usually bride portraits have a soft focus effect to blur any blemishes.

Crispy77

Thanks for the feedback. I played around with it a bit more.
The changes are subtle.

paula

capriccio

I agree! I love this version.

happyheart

Very...very...nice!  :up:  (love the new smileys!)
If it's artsy or Photoshop, I'll give it a try!
aka Betty

Dave

This was a restoration from our first trip to Pass Christian, MS. (Sorry to give you up on that Chris). I just want to take a moment and share with all of you the background story on this photo. I think it is a great example of what a special thing it is that you all are doing.

On our last day in Pass Christian, Becky and I were busy beyond belief. After a week of being away from the comforts of home and family, we were both pretty frazzled. We still had a 17-hour drive ahead of us. All I was thinking about was getting back to my wife and infant son.

Then Jim Cobb came through the door toting this picture of his wife Monique. Jim and Monique had been married for 34 years when Katrina hit. Monique was absolutely devestated when she saw this photo laying among the wreckage of their home.  Thinking that the picture was beyond saving she just threw it back on the ground and walked away in tears.

Although he didn't know that the image could be saved or who could fix it, Jim later retreived the photo and hid it for months from Monique.

Until the last couple of hours during our stay in Pass Christian, Jim had no idea that OPR existed or that we were even just a few blocks from his home. He heard about us at the last minute and hurriedly brought the photo to us hoping it was not too late.

While I tried to get the best copy possible of the image (the wrinkles on the glossy surface seemed to catch every reflection), Jim told me the whole story. I promised him that I would take care of the photo personally. It was clearly evident how much Monique and Jim have meant to each other.

When I got back home, the administrative side of OPR began to overwhelm me. I quickly found that I had no spare time to do the restorations, including Jim's, that I had set aside for myself. So I put these images into the distribution pool.

Chris got this one and to my surprise turned it around almost immediately. Chris did a fantastic job with the restoration and I was practically jumping out of my skin to get it mailed out to Jim. I even called Jim to let him know how well it turned out.

Following is an excerpt from a story written by the AP's Kristen Gelineau:

There was an anxious Jim Cobb, who walked in with a photo of his wife, Monique, in her wedding dress. Monique Cobb had discovered the picture lying in the rubble of their home, but burst into tears and threw it back onto the ground. Days later, Cobb (Jim) returned to the house and scooped it up. Operation Photo Rescue volunteers restored the image, and Cobb presented the picture to his wife as a surprise. Monique cried again -- out of joy this time.

I hope this story serves as an inspiration to us all. I hope it also serves as a congratulatory salute to the amazing work that Chris did on this restoration.

Dave

Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Jill B

Wow Dave, that is an inspiring story! Makes it all worth while. BTW, great job Chris.    Jill

Mark Wilson

I have a lump in my throat...

-Mark.
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." - Ansel Adams 1902-1984.

Dave

Thats just the motivation anyone would need to offer their help to OPR, knowing how much these photos mean to people and to repair and restore them is such a great thing.

Fantastix Restoration too Crispy  :up:

allanpat

that is a seriously beautiful restoration.  great job!

JenPrice

Wow!  A beautiful restoration Crispy and such a wonderful story to go along with it.  Thanks so much for sharing that Dave!

pcraft

Execellent restoration Crispy...   Looks lovely...   :)

Ptollemy

Wow! The restoration on this is just amazing.  Chris I salute you - your amazing talent it what I aspire to!  :)

Kind regards
Ptollemy