• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Floating in the pool

Started by Lynnya, September 23, 2017, 01:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

What was I thinking  :cool:  here is my color so far.. will tweak at the end.. if there is an end..

see you around Christmas time.....
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Bambi

When a picture is that damaged, I often don't color correct until I've repaired it. When the colors have run that badly, I use a color layer to at least make the areas the right color before trying to repair it. Healing and Patch tools can work on the damage in the water without factoring in the pink.

I would love to hear how you tackle the challenges in this one as you go along. I get so stuck in my ways, it's good to know how someone else approaches and solves the issues.

Lynnya

I got a lot of the damage and background done... took ages... then.... the power went out and I hadn't "saved" for ages... sigh.. start again from near scratch.. :mad:

sound familiar??

Mhayes

Lynn, makes a person want to take a gun and shoot out their monitor. A feel good moment followed by: "What have I done?" All of us have been there and it really hurts when it is a difficult photo you are working on. So sorry.

:hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Bambi

Oh no! That's the worst! On the bright side, it's always easier to re-do it because you've already thought it through and know what works and what doesn't. You're a real trooper.

Mike Morrell

I feel for you, Lynnya!

If you haven't yet opened Photoshop you might want to check whether there's still an 'Autosave' file somewhere on your PC.  Read through https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/how_to_recover_an_auto_saved_file_when_photoshop_cs6_crashes (as an example) for how to find the Photoshop Autosave file locations (if you had the Autosave option checked). There may well be nothing there but it's always worth checking.

Mike
Musician, Photographer and Volunteer

Lynnya

Thanks Mike.. will check that out.. although.. I have been obsessively saving since the incident...

Lynnya

This has been a challenge for me for sure...thought I was near done and hubby comes in and finds about 10 things wrong with it... sigh.. he's always right dammit...

Need eyes please.. I'm sure you'll find plenty..

I toned down the green and upped the blue a tad and then desaturated the blues some..any better? worse?

Mhayes

Lynn,

You have done a FANTASTIC job on this one. I would not have attempted it. I wouldn't change a thing.  :up2:  :up2:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Wow Margie thank you... it's so funny.. when I load up my restores it's like I have no clue what to expect.. it's like I can't see my own work. I can look at others and see things but not my own. That's why this forum is so important.. sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees and it's always so great to get help and input from others. :hug:

Bambi had asked how I would approach this image.. well I sat and looked at it for a long time wondering just that.  I started off by cloning all the water. Just to get rid of the mess.
I overlayed it with some new water and some concrete edging (there was nothing in any channels to pull from). When I'd sort of finished the background I started on the skin. Painted a lot of the skin in and then applied the Phlearn of texturing. Gave her a new swimsuit which I desaturated a lot to try for realism. Used the liquefy tool to make her body look somewhat real.

Face was tricky.. took me ages to try to make it real. Hubby comes in and says "she looks like a plastic doll" no shadows no texture. So I re shadowed her arms and legs and added yet more texture. I keep the original color corrected version on my screen and refer to it constantly.  At then end the knees and arms still didn't look good so I grabbed the knees etc from the original and pasted in place over my image and repaired the damage for realism. I reduced the sat. in the water a bit.. it was too blue.. and added noise.. I always add noise. I also always add noise to shadows which I do each shadow on a separate layer so I can reduce/increase opacity as needed. Again Phlearns tutorial on realistic shadows. I also drew shadows around edges of places where I could see on original.
I work in a terrible mess.. no discipline at all .. I try but I fail. Shadow helps me with that. If this long note helps anyone I'm glad.. it may be as clear as mud  :cool:
I would show some steps.. but I'm afraid to... :P

Phlearn skin from scratch tutorial :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xntJ6aG0BVQ

Phlearn how to create shadows

https://phlearn.com/tutorial/create-perfect-shadows-photoshop/

Mike Morrell

I totally agree with Margie, Lynnya,

I'm seriously impressed by your restoration skills! They inspire me.
Both versions are excellent but given the choice, I'd go for the 2nd version. Good call on the blue/green balance.

Mike
Musician, Photographer and Volunteer

Lynnya

Thanks Mike...I'm glad.. you should have seen my restores about two years ago when I joined OPR.. no where NEAR as good as yours.. I've learned soooo much from this forum..
My first attempts were clumsy to say the least. No clue about channels.. skin tones or much else come to that.  I can still send in a pretty lousy restore as Bambi will attest to lol..
Anyway, thank you for your compliment..

Bambi

Don't listen to her, Mike. Her restores were always top-notch. Thank you, Lynn for sharing your techniques. I used the Phlearn skin texture and will look at the video on the shadows.

Shadow

Girl! You took lemons and served up lemoncello margaritas! Wow! Beautiful.  :up: :up:

Lynnya

Thanks Lyn.. hurry back to work.. we miss you. Looking forward to seeing your next WIP  :hug: