• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Another Young Soldier

Started by Candice, July 13, 2017, 08:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

Candice

Mhayes

Candice, good repair on the soldier. However, I think the circles around his eyes are the true color for the skin and the paleness your have is where the water washed away the ink.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I think I understand you, but am not sure.  That would make him very dark.  I thought to colors under the eyes were where the ink ran. I didn't originally even have the under area, as dark as it is now.   ???
Candice

Candice

Reworked

Candice

Shadow

Hi Candy. Looking better. These pics are a challenge. Below is a quickie I did to see how Jonas' tip on Dodge/Burn would work with this one. Since there is such a "wash" over the image, I also did a 100% increase on the Sat to see if it would bring back some of the real color. The second Hue/Sat was -100 Cyan on the wash/stain. Anyhoo ...

Candice

You're speaking a lot of Greek to me Shadow.   I'll see what I can do.  :)
Candice

Shadow

Sorry Candy. My Sweet Couple had some of the same problems. Jonas did an example where he used Dodge/Burn to help with the dark lines. I was experimenting with doing that on this one for practice. I filled a layer with 50% gray and set it to Soft Light for the mode. Then I used the Burn tool and switched between Shadows/Midtones/Highlights and varying opacity to darken some of the lighter areas. Used the Dodge tool in a similar manner on the dark lines. Usually I paint with Black/White on this layer but the tools gave a better result. Did that help? Forgot, if you try it, Hannie's tip was to use Gaussian blur on that Dodge/Burn layer. It makes quite a difference.

Candice

Thank you.  Most of your explanation helped though I am not accustom to using the Dodge/Burn tool.  Some areas of self-teaching haven't arrived yet.  I'll keep trying but this one may be one I'll have to hand off.  :-\
Candice

Mhayes

Candy, your 2nd one looks better. I am going to let others weigh in on which way to go. Usually you don't have the face very light and dark circles around the eye--unless they've had a bad night. Yes, some shadows around the eyes, but not circles. Bring your shading out a little, especially on the left. You are not far off the mark.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

This photo has lost a lot of details on the soldier's face and no matter how hard I tried I could not get the shade back without making it look all blotchy.
I tried the good old Shadows/Highlight layer and lowered the shadows slightly and also moved the highlight slider substantially to get more skin texture.
Result was quite horrible, I had to use smoothing the even it all out and then had to add texture again.  It still turns out to be very light skin and dark ring under the eyes so I did a very subtle dodge under the eyes so the darkness appears more gradual.  (worked in B/W, find it easier)

I think it still does not look right.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Hannie on July 15, 2017, 06:46:28 AM
This photo has lost a lot of details on the soldier's face and no matter how hard I tried I could not get the shade back without making it look all blotchy.
I tried the good old Shadows/Highlight layer and lowered the shadows slightly and also moved the highlight slider substantially to get more skin texture.
Result was quite horrible, I had to use smoothing the even it all out and then had to add texture again.  It still turns out to be very light skin and dark ring under the eyes so I did a very subtle dodge under the eyes so the darkness appears more gradual.  (worked in B/W, find it easier)

I think it still does not look right.

Hannie

Thank you for your post, Hannie.  In a strange way, it's good to know that someone else has run into the same problems I have.  I'm going to work on him some more and hopefully things will come out as all have suggested. 
Candice

Shadow

Good luck Candy! You do beautiful work ... look forward to your final.

Candice

I believe this is my final version unless there's something else you kind folks see. 

Candice

Candice

Quote from: Shadow on July 15, 2017, 09:38:32 PM
Good luck Candy! You do beautiful work ... look forward to your final.

I needed your luck, Shadow.  This morning (Sunday) I opened our young soldier after putting him away a couple days, and this morning I added a few more tweaks and I've posted the final version. 
Candice

Shadow