• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

How Much Blur

Started by philbach, May 15, 2017, 10:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

This Photo is somewhat daunting for me to restore.   It has a screen on it like newspaper print but it seems to be more extreme. 

So I converted the photo to a black and white rendition and blurred it primarily with Photoshops Smart Blur.  Here is the result.

I was wondering whether to quit or try another approach.

Thanks
phil

Hannie

The blur looks good Phil! I wouldn't add any more.
I like the original background better than the new one, after clean up it won't look like new but it it goes well with the subject, no?

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

Thanks Hannie.  I like your clean up of the portrait as well.  What did you use to remove the half tone?   I will use the original background.  Thanks.
phil

Hannie

Phil, I lied!   :halo:
I actually did a little more blurring but left out the eyes, nose and mouth edges.
Did an FFT first, that partly took care of some of the print.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Hi Phil. Nice to see you. Wow, you picked a toughie. Your WIP is looking good. With Hannie's tip you will put it over the top for sure. Look forward to seeing your next shot. Good luck!

philbach

Well I use a Mac and I did not have access to the FFT filter.  Image J does have one that a mac can use but its needs to have a legacy Java SE 6 Runtime installed whatever that is.  I decided that was a tad risky to mess around with.  I will give it another Go and post it in a day or two. 

Thanks again, Hannie and Shadow.

phil

Shadow

Hi Phil, not sure what version of PS you use. Have you checked out this version of FFT for Mac?  Fingers crossed it helps with your restore.
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/software/38969-developing-mac-photoshop-64-bit-fft-ifft-plugins.html

Lynnya

Hi Phil.. yes toughie for sure.. with a few corrections you'll take it home  :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

philbach

Shadow that version is not available for the Mac any more.  What is still available is Image J.  At any rate I did download the legacy version of Java so I could open Image J and was able to run the filter.  Image J is available at the following link:

https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/download.html

The before and after versions of using the filter are below.  It nicely removed the halftone.   Here is the example

After using the FFT filter I cleaned up the image and used the original background has suggested by Hannie

phil

Shadow

Sorry about that Phil. Had hoped it was a good link.  Thanks for the Image J link ... will pass it on to a Mac using buddy.
Thanks for sharing the before/after images of the FFT. That is so cool when it works. Your cleanup is looking good!

Hannie

Thanks for the link Phil, what a great result!

:up2:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Looking good Phil  :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

philbach

Well I tried several flavors of Blur, but using the healing brush seemed to give the best results.

phil

Mhayes

Wow Phil, she looks great!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

phil