• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Cutie on the step

Started by Shadow, December 08, 2016, 10:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Mornin Lyn.. I think it looks great but on my monitor it has a very yellow cast.. I did a difference gray point again and still find the first black pixels on the middle of the door.. not on handle or arm.. not sure why.. :-\

this it what it gave me...
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Thanks for hanging in there with me Lynn. Think I finally duplicated your Threshold points ... had to refresh my Threshold adjustment layer and then it looked like yours. How does this look on your monitor? Also think I might need to recheck my calibration ... or stop when Shadow says stop  ^-^  Does he hair look a bit green now?

Jo Ann Snover

His hair does look a tad green to me (didn't measure in PS). You can always make small tweaks using a curves layer, masked with a very soft-edge brush for just the part you want to change. Sometimes - because of mixed lighting in the first place, or uneven fading/damage to the print, things are not uniform across the image, so trying another overall correction might fix the face but mess up some other area.

That is such a cute kid!
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Hi Lyn this is the green turned up in hue/sat

this is it down 100% and yellow up +5

dunno what say you...

Lynnya

after JoAnn's note I did a levels check (looked pretty good) and then an auto curves.. darkened it just a smidge (the curves did)

this is usually where I lose the plot  :crazy:

Shadow

Thanks Jo Ann. Appreciate the feedback.
And Lynn, thank you very much for the screen shots. Especially liked the way you sussed out the extra green. Liked your steps so much I repeated them on my image and will send him up and see what Bambi says.
This one was trickier than I anticipated. When you run the Difference method to get the gray point, do you then use the gray dropper and click on the first black you see (excluding obvious damage) on a Levels Layer to set your point or do you do something different?
Have a good weekend gang and thank you for all the input!!  :hug:

Lynnya

Yes they are tricky sometimes.. I just requested one and immediately thought "what was I thinking!"... re the difference methold.  I made an action for getting to the threshold adjustment, as soon as I start seeing black on the threshold I mark it and then go a bit further and do a couple more.. usually it's the first few black pixels that are gray, delete all the threshold stuff and  open my "curves"adjustment and click on that marker 1 with the neutral gray dropper.. I don't use levels at this point. Usually it goes "BAM" nice and neutral, but not always.. I tend to avoid damage for everything.. I sort of ignore it and only go for what's in the image.  Hope this helps. I think Bambi will love your boy  :loveit:

Shadow

Funny, "what was I thinking!" ... will have your cocktail ready for after your first WIP!
Thank you describing your process so well.  :) YES it helps. Think I will begin choosing the first and then a couple more pts like you describe and see how that works. It is sweet when it actually does go "BAM".
From your keyboard to Bambi's ears!  ;D
Good luck with your new one girl!

Lynnya

Thanks.. it's cocktail time  >:D

Shadow

Mhayes

Really good so far. One thing that I do a little different than Shadow is how I find neutral gray. I go up add a layer and use Soft Light as the mode and then check the box for 50%. Then I go back to that layer and change the mode to "Difference." Anywhere that I see black means the closest it is to gray. Sometimes there won't be the perfect choice.

I will take the sampler color tool dropper and mark the 3 best black areas. Then I will turn off the Difference layer and under it, but above my duplicate layer, I will go to Curves and use the middle eye dropper for gray. I will try all 3 to see which gives the best results.

Gave up and went to postmg--click on to see larger.

I could have taken care of the green cast several ways, but decided to do it in Curves and then to the Green Channel pull down. Above the droppers is a "squiggly" tool that I used since I could zero in to the area that I wanted to have the green back off. Click on the part and then move that point to see if you can back the green off.

Last I added a blank layer with the color mode and then added more color to different areas.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Marie, thanks for your detailed steps. This one has already gone home but I'm going to go back and try your steps. Always good to have more than one way to do things!  :wnw: