• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Do you use a Wacom Tablet for restoring your photos?

Started by Sharon, February 04, 2007, 04:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharon

I am thinking of purchasing a Intuos 3 tablet.  Do any of you use one or recommend using one.  If so what type do you recommend?

Sharon

cmpentecost

Hi Sharon,

Absolutely, positively YES!  I love my Wacom, and could not imagine ever restoring photos without my tablet.  Mine is the 9 x 12, which is a bit big, but they now have a 6 x 8 which I have worked on, and it was wonderful.  It's a tool that is worth every penny, especially for doing restorations.

If you have any questions about size, how to use it, etc., Wacom has a really good phone support system as well.

Christine

kiska

I have a small Intuos 3. Can't do without it. I don't have a mouse.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

RosyBijou

Love it, love it, love it!  Before I got my tablet, I had terrible carpel tunnel (bad because I do a lot of resoration & image manipulation outside of OPR--I spend a lot of time on the computer...)--so bad that some days, I lost sensation in my fingers... Now carpel tunnel is gone. 

Aside from the physical benefit, it is such a joy to use--I don't even use the mouse any more, even for regular computer stuff.  It takes a little time to get used to because it's point-for-point--where you put the pen on the tablet, your little mouse arrow appears; not like the mouse where the arrow stays when you pick up the mouse.  I know of some folks who never get used to it, but nearly everyone I know who gets it is glad they made the investment. (It comes with a mouse too, so you can use it with both pen & mouse.)

I also know that some prefer one of the smaller tablets, as their hand/arm gets fatigued travelling across the larger surface area of the larger tablets.  I have one of the larger ones and have never experienced that type of fatigue. 

Take measurements of your available desk space and map out where it would fit, keeping in mind that the writing pad is smaller than the footprint--(the actual footprint measurements are on the wacom website.)  You want to be sure that it will fit in front of your monitor or in a position that would be comfortable for you to be writing.  You don't want it hanging over the edge of your work space--you want it seated firmly so it doesn't tip while you're "writing".

Mine isn't actually in front of the monitor--my most comfortable writing position for that hand is actually a little lower and angled slightly off to the side, so I have my work area set up to accomidate my wacom.  If you're into Painter or any of the artsy manipulations, wacom has a brush pen also (but it is only compatible with the Intuos 3--if you might want to add that tool down the line, you might want to be sure to stay with your leaning towards the Intuos3 tablets, rather than the Graphires.  (I've read some great things about the 6D art pen and am actually thinking that it might be time to get one of those myself...)

My vote: worth every cent--regardless of whether you choose a big one or a smaller one.  Wacom's web site has a "which tablet is right for you" test:  http://www.wacom.com/tabletwizard/index.cfm  Might be worth checking that out too...  (But make sure you measure your space!  I didn't but got very lucky--if the tablet had been 1/8" bigger, it would not have fit!)
Kerry
(aka RosyBijou)

Ausimax

I don't use a Wacom, I received a Manhattan Tablet  for Xmas, 8" x 6", doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" of the Wacom, but it does what I need. I don't know how I managed without it, I know I couldn't have done all the work on the writing I did  in the last photo, with a mouse, I would highly recommend to anyone doing this sort of work to get a tablet.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Sharon

I would like to thank everyone that responded to my post regarding using a tablet.  I appreciate it .  I'm going to buy  a Wacom tomorrow after work.   :)

Kiska, thanks for the tip about measuring my desk space prior to buying.  My desk space is a bit limited.  I'm going to check out the web site you suggested too. 

Sharon

videosean

I used a 12x12 Aiptek tablet for about 2 years before becoming annoyed with it enough to finally buy a Wacom.  I got an Intuos3 9x12 about 10 months ago and even though it was way more expensive than I would have liked I don't regret the purchase one bit :)  I simply can't do the kind of photoshop work with a mouse that I can with a pressure sensitive pen.  I still don't use the custom buttons on it and I miss having a transparent overlay built-in for placing something under to trace but I wouldn't trade it for anything I can think of.
i have an unhealthy internet obsession & hide behind multiple layers of ironic humor and sarcasm...

kstruve

I use a Wacom Intuos3 6X8 at work and I just ordered one last week for home.  I definitely recommend it!

Kurt

Peter_AUS

Yes the Wacom Intuos 3 6x8 makes life so much easier as would a dedicated Photoshop Keyboard which is available as well (not Wacom).  With the Intuos moving the pen around different positions and angles has different effects on your image.  Example is using hair brushes to put hair into a picture, moving the pen around places hair differently  which just can't be done using just a mouse.

I'm thinking of getting my girls the Graphire 4's for them this year which will save on batteries as the pens and mice a batteriless.  Another good reason to get one.

They do have a bluetooth version of the Intuos.
Regards,

Peter

Sharon

Well, I purchased the Wacom Intuos 3 6 x 8.  I really like it.  Your right about having to get use to it.   :)

Now, I'm trying to decide how to place my keyboard and tablet on my desk so they can both be used when needed.  How do you have yours set up?

Sharon

Ausimax

Hi Sharon,

I have just replaced my normal mouse & pad with the Tablet, if you look at my setup in this thread you can see how it was.

http://www.oprworkshop.org/forum/index.php?topic=405.0

My tablet was bigger than the mouse pad, and pushed the keyboard off the end of the desk a little, so I had to glue a strip of timber along the bottom of the keyboard as the leg went over the end.

I find that is a position I am used of, for working with my right hand, and I use the mouse that came with the pad, for mouse work, with the 6x8 the mouse works well.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

mitzs

I have the bamboo tablet. I guess after reading all these post I really need to learn it and start working with it.  :-\

Hannie

Mitzs, once you start using your tablet you'll not go without it!  It really doesn't take all that long to get used to and once you do you'll find that it is so much easier to all the detailed restoring work.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Atlantis

Last january I worked on a document with handwriting for which I recoverd my Medion from a closet I had thrown it into out of frustration a few years ago.
The restauration of the handwriting kept me motivated to adjust myself to using tablet & pen this time around and today I must admit : I couldn't live without it anymore. I use it all the time when restoring but also when postprocessing my own photowork.

And you know what it also works wonders when playing this little online game I permit myself when having done enough usefull work : http://www.coolspel.nl/open.php?id=326 = Super Bubbles = where just dabbing the pen saves a lot of mouseclicks.
The only way to get better is to figure out what I did wrong.

Hannie

Atlantis don't ever mention that game again and especially not using my beloved Wacom tablet!

Just kidding!
My husband is totally addicted to this game and every spare moment he uses to play the *!!@*!! game, it is driving me nuts.    :mad:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]