• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margie's Forum - Rivet Dancers

Started by Lynnya, December 07, 2016, 09:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Mornin all.. starting on this one.. I don't actually remember requesting this image but I'm getting very "senior momentish" lately.. :D
Here is the original and my color correction.. I took three neutral gray points .. top left (my left) was very blue, top right seemed about right to me.. lower right was too purpleish..seemed very black but it's not clipping so...

O.K. so... first question.. is the stripe running diagonally across her leotard top damage or real.. it runs under the ribbon so I'm thinking it's real but I've never seen a ballet leotard with a stripe like that (used to be a ballet dancer  :cool:) also a little stripe on his chest.. (matching?) I used this curves method to try to determine if it's damage but I'm still none the wiser.. also the two little circles next to the stripe.. I'm thinking this must all be real.. your thoughts??

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Hey Girl. I honestly cannot tell about the stripe but I am leaning toward it being there on purpose - I know, that's no help. Quick question, on the #3 grey point, are those the final numbers showing? Using your point I tried them at 126, 126, 126 (for neutral gray) and got a bit different color on the tablecloth. You know I'm still learning about color so take that for what it's worth  :)  Good luck on this one!

Hannie

Lynn, I agree that the stripe and circles are part of the leotard. 
Wonder if there are any more dancers on the forum, we can start a ballet company!    ;)
Quite like your color corrections, it is hard to tell what the colors were but I always go for skin color, if that seems right then the rest probably is too.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Hi Shadow.. I did another check on the neutral gray and came up with very similar.. I'm using the difference/threshold method.. can you let me see what you came up with for color?

Lynnya

Hi Hannie... yes lol.. you were sitting on my shoulder saying "look at the skin color" and also "don't lose the details on the people"... thanks for being there.. :up:
p.s. starting a ballet company would fun... now .. where are my old leg warmers... hmmm....used to have draws full of them....

Shadow

Hi Hannie and Lynn ... learn so much from you gals! Lynn, thanks for the extra screen shot. I liked your color correction - just wasn't understanding how you got there when I saw the numbers on the first WIP.  Somehow had it in my head that the gray point had to be equal on each channel. Doing that made the magenta more prominent and less attractive actually. Am thinking that may be why I end up down the wrong path so often. Your skin tones look great. So, when you 2 have an image with color challenges, what are your goals for the skin tones?
Oh my, have to run ... have to be way across town. Can't wait to get back to see your answers! You wise women have a good day!

Lynnya

I wait for Hannie to tell me... :funny:

I actually depend heavily on the difference mode.. but I do pick out the one that looks right to me (I"m not always right tho) there is a formula for skin tones for white skin, asian and black skin.. I must admit tho I rarely use it.. I do look at the cmyk numbers for skin occasionally if it looks wrong to me...if it were a close up portrait I would be more careful..here is a lynda.com tute that shows it for white skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_wXx1Ng5ZY

the numbers really do work... it's work to do them tho.. :cool: I"m terrible at math so remembering the numbers gives me a headache....

Here's my latest.. comments welcome

Shadow

Hi Lynn, you have taken this image a long way! On the man's pants, there's a small area at the top that is a bit bright? VERY nice job keeping all those lines in the carpet!  :up:
That's funny ... waiting for Hannie! Thank you for the link. The math made my head hurt too. Easy to see why there are whole courses devoted to color correction.  :P

Lynnya

Yes I see that now.. thanks for the extra eyes  8) will fix that later.. carpet was lots of select, new layer, drag, hide and paint back in  :D

is this better? I toned it down and also added a new layer multiply blend mode at 61% brush at 14% to just his face and a little on her skin

Shadow

You got it girl! Another good one  :up:

Lynnya

Thanks for your help Lyn... let's see what Margie says... >:D :halo:  which will it be

Shadow

Glad to lend an eye! :cool:  Will be watching to see what Margie thinks. Have a good one.

Mhayes

Lynn,

Great cleanup! Only a few tweaks I might suggest. Might want to clean up around the bottom of the pants above his shoe. The edge seems to have a green cast. The other thing and this is really adding to the photo where the pants are blown out in the original and we are just trying to bring back the way it was. So if a home picture doesn't look all that great to begin with--not our problem. However, when I look at the original I can see the folds in the man's exercise pants. Try adding a layer above and with a soft brush and an opacity on the brush about 12% or so, paint in a soft gray where the folds would be. You can also reduce the opacity of the layer. This will be very subtle.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Margie, You have a great eye. I really appreciate the way you share your feedback and teach at the same time! And Lynn, even though I have said it before, thank you SOOO much for sharing your work. You put your WIPs on here and invite feedback. You gave me the courage to do the same. Had no idea what a special place this would become for me!  :hug:
Stay warm up there in that winter wonderland you are living in Margie and you enjoy that cocktail looking at the boats Lynn! ;D 

Lynnya