• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margie's Forum-Special Day

Started by Lynnya, December 03, 2016, 09:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi All... starting a new one.  Interestingly I couldn't make my "difference" method of finding neutral gray work.. it stayed in difference mode, no white screen.. anyway, I roamed around with my color picker and looked for a neutral spot using my info palette and came up with this color correction..seems about right what say you...

Just in case anyone else has the "threshold" problem.. I used to moderate for Dgrin and had the problem there and got a great response from Richard there.. here is the thread from long ago which fixed the problem

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=253054

p.s. I did another neutral gray point using the now functioning difference mode and came up with pretty much the same tones..

this is where I'm at so far.. comments and suggestions welcome

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

Lynn, I did the Difference mode too with 3 different points and got similar to yours. I believe the top one is close to what the original was like. The bottom seems to want to go too blue.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Yes I agree.. I actually toned it down a ton as well.. will tone some more  8)

is this better?? too much??

a little more blue

Mhayes

Lynn, I think less blue. Silly me, when I said I liked the top one; I was looking at the original. Below is with adding a Difference Mode and I used 50% gray and chose Soft Light. I had 3 points but thought #3 on the left was the best. The other two I got similar to yours. I also thought that #3 point was the best for black.

I'm good with what you got, because I don't think my point is really a neutral gray. The woman's hair close to my point would have been closer, but went by what was the "blackest."

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Hey girl! You probably already saw this ... the lady with the glasses, is she a bit too bright or too saturated? (Not sure what, face jumped out at me.) Thank you for the tip about N Gray. It is looking good! Look forward to seeing your next update!  :up:

Lynnya

Yeah... No matter what I do it's still bright.. or horrible.. they used a flash which made her face very light.. I tried toning down but end up with a bad result.. I've sent it up to Margie so we'll see what happens..

kiska

Have you tried Image>Adjust>Shadows/Highlights? On a duplicate layer. Mask in the face. Helps bring it down a little.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Lynnya

Hi Kiska.. thanks for tip.. I tried your formula and seems to me it's causing a grey color change in the neck area.. I'm not sure why.. take a look..

kiska

I did mine on the original. Try an empty color layer and slowly paint the gray out with some "good" color.
OR do it on the original, copy/paste onto restore, mask in the face. Easier to tone down/correct yellow than gray.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Lynnya

Thanks Kiska I'll try both and see what happens... stand by  :cool:

I tried your shadow/highlights on the original and masked it onto my restore.. it was very yellow so I reduced the yellow with a hue/sat adjustment and then changed the hue just a tad with another hue/sat then I hid all and painted in.. I think it looks better.. what do you guys think

kiska

Looks better. Maybe a little color layer paint on the neck and her right arm (too magenta).
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Lynnya

Will do thanks for your help..

how's this

Shadow

Kiska, great tip!
Lynn, once you tweak the magenta on the arm I think you have it! Looking much better. A tip to make Sh/H almost like an adjustment layer you can return to as needed to tweak - you dupe the layer you want to run Sh/H on and change it to a Smart Object, Run Sh/H.
Very nice work!  :up:

Lynnya

Thanks Shadow, great tip.. I know cos shad/highlight works on the image rather than the layer so this is a really good tip.. :up:

Shadow

This is an excellent writeup on Shadow/Highlight as a Smart Filter and a detailed description of each slider etc. Great reference.  http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/applying-shadow-shighlights-as-a-smart-filter-in-photoshop/