• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Rivet Girls

Started by Lynnya, December 01, 2016, 09:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi all, starting a new one.. here is my WIP so far..color corrected only

so... what do we think this is.. the big black blob to the right.. I don't think it's damage.. any ideas??

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

These girls are in good hands! My vote for the black you pointed out is damage. Your color correction on my monitor is spot on! Look forward to seeing your next WIP! Have fun.

Jo Ann Snover

Could the black area top right be fabric? An awning on a shop perhaps? That would account for the wavy edge as the flap on some awnings is free to move in a breeze.

I can't really see well enough to know if there's any details to give a clue as to the material - if there's a seam or signs of woven cloth, then I think that would make it less like to be damage.

I wondered about the possibility of it being part of someone's clothing - if they were on some sort of viewing stand or platform that we can't see - but the only hint is that metal bar going between the blob and the right-most gentleman's hat.

Here are a couple of shop awning examples

http://www.oldnycphotos.com/nyny1144.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/24/article-0-12BD23D6000005DC-693_964x763.jpg

The pictures here are small, but the Park Service has information about how they were used.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Hi Shadow and Jo Ann.. thanks for input..That black splodge just doesn't say awning to me.. I'm inclined to remove it if Margie lets me  :mad:

hey ya know what? I just looked at the smaller version and wonder if it's part of an old street light or sign... :-\

Jo Ann Snover

The bottom end, unlit, of something like this or this perhaps?
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Yes I agree with you Jo Ann... just what I was thinking... thanks so much for looking.. :up:

Lynnya

Here's where I'm at... comments welcome... lots of cloning and cleaning.. not sure about the sky..

Mhayes

Lynn, a lot of pictures have the sky as white on B/W photos because the highlights were so bright. I would not try to make clouds, but just nothing other than texture like the rest of the photo. By doing that the attention focuses in on the girls. Nice clean up and what an interesting photo.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

thanks Margie.. yes the sky was bothering me.. I'll fix it and re post.. Is this better??

Mhayes

Lynn, yes much better. I'm thinking maybe the girl on your right should have her sign, paddle, etc lighter and not pattern like the sky?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Lynn, looking really good. Love the detail you brought out on their dresses!! Not to be too nit-pickey ... might just be the uploaded image, on the far left (looking at screen) above men on the bdg, is that a dark stroke? Like Margie's suggestion for the sign.
Very nice Lynn! :up:

Lynnya

Thanks for suggestions Margie and Shadow.. good eye there Lyn  :up: How's this correction...

Hey!!! is this picture back to front?? the writing in the right hand corner which actually says Coquille New Orleans is backwards.. I assumed it was bleeding from the back but maybe it was scanned backwards.. I can change it easy enough if so..

Shadow

Looks great Lynn!
Bet Margie will have the info you need. I searched the Coquille name and came up with this image on pinterest. The Coquille name is  not backward. https://www.google.com/search?q=Coquille+New+Orleans&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi16prf09XQAhVH04MKHS5bD7IQsAQIIg&biw=1280&bih=579&dpr=1.5#imgrc=vslLojbpNcn3SM%3A

Lynnya

Hi Lyn.. thats amazing!!! could have used that one and avoided all the work lol.. but.... on this picuture the name is not backwards.. on mine it is...

http://natgeofound.tumblr.com/post/64832292122/children-wearing-mardi-gras-costumes-in-new

Shadow

Hey Girl. Well phooey ... I meant to write ...  and I bet it is supposed to be like this and then the link to the pic. Guess it's obvious I am SO ready for the weekend!  ;)