• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margie's Forum, Family in the Park

Started by WordSpark LLC, November 20, 2016, 08:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WordSpark LLC

Hello,

I'm working on one of the beautiful pictures from Margie's gallery, a group photo of a beautiful family in a park.

Here is the original (I hope this works, since there seems to be a problem with the other pics in the OPR gallery on Photobucket).

First, I applied a B&W and a Levels adjustment.

I lightened the inner frame with the actual picture. Since there was a lot of damage to the white outer part, I applied two solid color adjustments, using one of the off-white tones in one of the dresses. I had tried a white layer before, which seemed too white. The color may still need to be adjusted later, I just didn't want the damage in lighter part to distract from repairing the actual picture.

Then I started the repairs (cloning/healing), but since there is a lot to repair, I didn't get as far as I thought I would, so a lot more fixes to come. I had already started on the eyes of the young girl (top row, second from left) and thought I might be able to copy and modify the eyes from the little girl on the right, but it didn't work and I undid those edits again.

Any comments and suggestions are always welcome  :)

Ann

Mhayes

Ann, I think you are off to a great start.  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

I took a quick look - what a lovely picture this is - and I think you've blown out some of the whites in the image when you made your levels or grayscale conversion. Here's an enlarged fragment of the image with some white lace and the boy's shirt that I hope will illustrate what I mean (click for larger image)

The blue lines were just to point to some of the areas where there's a difference between the two versions.

There are all sorts of ways to get from the original to a brighter version without losing the highlights. If you want some suggestions on that, let me know.
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Jo Ann,

Good point, but one thing you did say that is not is the color mode we use. You said grayscale conversion--please DO NOT do that because when the photos go to the printer they should all be sRGB not grayscale. Yes, they be B/W, but as an Adjustment layer that still keeps the mode in sRGB.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Mhayes on November 21, 2016, 06:38:55 PM
... but one thing you did say that is not is the color mode we use...

I never use grayscale - I was only noting that the file the person working on it posted was in greyscale mode and I had to convert it.

I assumed they had done the conversion as part of working on the image (as the original was RGB) but that's just my guess.
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if it was uploaded as grayscale or whether the photo storage site did that? Glad you brought this up.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Hi Wordspark. Your WIPs are looking good. Just wanted to wish you good luck! Look forward to seeing your next image.

Hannie

Hi Ann,

Great work so far!  The eyes of the young girl, I wonder if the left eye can be fixed enough to transform if for the right eye?  (I could not tell if that would be possible because I am not using my good computer)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

WordSpark LLC

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the late reply. My computer died  :'(  and I am migrating to a new one :crazy:. Will post further WIP when it is all sorted.

In the meantime, thank you all for your comments and for the good luck wishes.

I checked the image mode before I starting working on it and it is RGB, not grayscale, so I need to go back and adjust the levels. Re eyes, I tried to use the right eye of the girl and did a left eye version, but I am not happy with them, same applies to the missing eyes of the young man in the back. I borrowed eyes from a brother and while they do look better, the look different from the original. Do you think the dark shades on the face of the young man in the back are a beard?

Thank you and have a wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year!

Ann

Lynnya

Hi Welcome back... it's going well! I personally don't think it's a beard as there are dark shadows on some of the other's necks as well.. not quite so dark in the original..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

WordSpark LLC

I hope you all head a great start into 2017!

Here are the remaining WIP pictures. I gave the family members with missing eyes preliminary ones. They still did not look right, but I wanted to give them preliminary eyes at least.

Then I  fixed the remaining parts of picture and used a combination of cloning, levels and color overlays, shadows and highlights.

Then I went back to the faces to give them more natural look, added a shoe to the boy in front and did some final fixes. Since the picture had some noise to begin with, I overlaid a small amount to the fixed areas for them to blend in better.

This is the picture I submitted.

By the way, Photobucket gave me a fake .js javascript update message that looked like it could be real and a ton of unwanted popups or fake surveys. Might be time to change to a different site. Did anyone else have that problem? 

Ann

Lynnya

Looks good Ann.. it's a little contrasty on my monitor and I might have added a bit more grain but that's just me... I tend to go for a real old look and sometimes go too far ::)
never giving up......learning from others as I go...