• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Girl: Before I Start

Started by Jacob, October 04, 2016, 10:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

This will be my first repair so before I started I wanted to make sure I understood what exactly needs fixing, here's the image:

So besides color adjustment, all the small dots and bits of damage on the background and face need to be removed. My confusion is on the damage around the edges, that right angle in the bottom right, is that the end of the scanned photograph or is that damage that just happens to be in a right angle. Also that darkness on the red bar to the left, do you think that is damage or just a shadow.

Thanks for the help, just trying to get used to identifying what is damage and what isn't.

Mhayes

Hi Jacob,

Yes, color correction first and then you can work on fixing the damage. I think under her hair is shadow. As to the bar on your right, I would remove it and fill in with her arm and dark background. Feel free to post as you go along and we will help. Have fun and thanks for posting.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Hi Jacob,

Nothing to add ... just wanted to wish you good luck with your first!

Lyn

Jacob

Don't worry, I still have a lot to do but I wanted to get opinions and see how it looks on other screens. Also, do those red bits on the right look like damage to you? Thanks for the feedback!

Mhayes

Jacob, looking good. I see the white dote which are mold, but didn't notice the red dots on the right?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Not sure what those red bits are, it could that the girl is sitting in a row of seats and the red bits are the seats in front of her?

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Row of chairs? Like in a school auditorium?

Hannie

Yes Lyn, or in a movie theater etc.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Jacob

I know it's been a long time since I've posted but here is the almost complete version:

If you can, let me know what final things should be done, the last things I don't know about are the dark shapes on her right shoulder, the red shapes on the right border, and her wrist.

Thank you

Shadow

Hi Jacob, Good to see you back. Looking good. Might just be me ... on her upper shoulder cannot tell if that pinkish area is damage. If you decide it is, a tip I was given early on was to sample the good color, make a new layer set to Color or Soft Light. Use a brush with Opacity set around 50% or so and paint over that pinkish area so it matches the rest of that area of her top. You can lower the opacity of the layer to help with your adjustment. Did that make sense?  :D You asked about the area near the border ... if you mean the little bit of red I think I would blend it out with the surrounding dark bkgd.

JackR

Hi Jacob, Agree with Shadow on the pink on her shoulder and the red bits...Think the dark on her right shoulder is shadow, as for her wrist it does look strange, like it is too long but from the original her hand isn't showing, maybe her sleeve is covering her hand making it look that way? Otherwise looks good...
The early bird gets the worm, but the SECOND mouse gets the cheese...

cheers...

Jack

Jacob

Thanks for the help everyone  :up2:

Hannie

So glad that my computer is working again!

Jacob, her left wrist and part of her hand are showing but it is hard to tell if the palm of her hand is facing up or down.  The dark shading there could maybe adjusted a little so it looks more like a hand.  Not easy to do.

Great job and thanks for posting your work.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Hannie aka eagle eyes!  :wow:  Sure is a hand.

Lynnya

looking good... I agree with everyone.. is that a side view of her hand? is that a thumb on top? not sure...
never giving up......learning from others as I go...