• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

WWI Soldiers

Started by Candice, October 25, 2016, 12:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Very interesting Candice.  Thanks for the link.  (I didn't realize that even Babar the Elephant wears "spats"!)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

Hannie!  LOL  You never know what new things you can learn.  :)
Candice

Candice

Margie, does anyone in the family know the history of the picture.  I think the one man on our left is a chaplain.  I didn't notice it before but I did some more tweaking and believe that is a minister's collar I see.
Candice

Mhayes

Candice, I will see if I can get more history on the photo and post what I find out. Thanks for the history on what they were wearing.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Candice

Candice

Final work.  It's going home.

Candice

Mhayes

Candice, here is what the owner had to say about this photo.

QuoteThe military picture is one of my uncle. He is the man on the left. His name is Henry Joseph Guidry, he served in WWII. I will see what other information I can find. The others in the photo I am not sure who they are.

He was one of 12 children. He was the 5th child. He was born in English Turn, La. It is located across the river from New Orleans. His parents moved quite a bit. Seems that almost each child was born in a different area of Louisiana. His father was a sugar planter he managed sugar cane plantations.
I know Henry moved to New York city shortly before 1940.

I love knowing the history behind the photos.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Very cool! Thank you for sharing this info Margie.

Candice

What an awesome story, Margie!  Thank you so much for taking time to find out for me and for all of us!
Candice

Candice

Quote from: Mhayes on November 11, 2016, 11:22:51 PM
Candice, here is what the owner had to say about this photo.

QuoteThe military picture is one of my uncle. He is the man on the left. His name is Henry Joseph Guidry, he served in WWII. I will see what other information I can find. The others in the photo I am not sure who they are.

He was one of 12 children. He was the 5th child. He was born in English Turn, La. It is located across the river from New Orleans. His parents moved quite a bit. Seems that almost each child was born in a different area of Louisiana. His father was a sugar planter he managed sugar cane plantations.
I know Henry moved to New York city shortly before 1940.

I love knowing the history behind the photos.

Margie

Margie, my husband grew up in New Orleans and he didn't recognize the name "English Turn", so we looked it up this morning.  The name that is used now is Algiers.  That one he does know.  Upon looking further, even Algiers has kept the name of some manner.  It's highly doubtful that this is what the old English Turn looked like though.  :)

http://westbankliving.com/westbank-communities/english-turn-west-bank-neighborhood-of-the-week/

LASTLY ~  Here is the history of English Turn, Louisiana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Baptiste_Le_Moyne,_Sieur_de_Bienville
Candice

Shadow

Candice, thank you for adding this info. Very cool.

Mhayes

Candice, thanks for giving us more history. It is really exciting to hear the story behind them and makes it so important that we are saving those photos.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Indeed it is.  Each picture has a story.   :hug:
Candice

Hannie

Great topic, I love history!

More on English Turn La:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Turn

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Thanks Hannie. Read yours with great interest as well. That is a fascinating area down there. Will look at it differently now that I've read you and Candice's links!