• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margie's Gallery - Woman playing golf

Started by WordSpark LLC, October 15, 2016, 01:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WordSpark LLC

Hi everyone,

I picked a photo from Margie's gallery. This is my first post, so I am hoping that I am inserting the images correctly.

Here is the original:

The photo had a lot of color noise, since the original seemed to have been sepia-colored.

1) Applied a B&W adjustment layer, to ensure I did not move color info across the picture.
2) Applied a levels adjustment.

3) The dust and scratches filter did not really work, probably because the picture was so noisy. So I used healing, cloning and content-aware fill get rid of the spots, scratches and creases.

At first, the "bald" spot on the bottom left looked like it had some damage, but after doing a color adjustments check on the original, it just seemed like a slightly unsharp bare spot without grass. Maybe part of some tire track mark, so I left it. What do you think it is? I am really having a hard time with that particular spot. Comments and suggestions are always welcome  :)

4) I used the paint brush (smallest size, separate layer), to give the woman's hands some definition and drew in the missing part of the club. Then, I reduced the opacity of the paintbrush layer and used the healing and burn tool on the hands and did some minor touch-ups in the corner.
5) I also used levels to tone down the bench it bit, since it seemed rather bright and my eye got drawn to it every time I looked at the picture.
6) I isolated the sky and applied a very slight surface blur to it to make the noise less pronounced. Gaussian blur didn't really work.

7) I copied the layer and tried a Shadows/Highlight adjustment to improve the overall tone and did the same thing again just on the woman's head, since the original was pretty faded and I wanted it to darken just a tad more.

8. Added a very slight blur to the woman's skirt, since the noise seemed a bit distracting.

9) Added a sepia photo filter and did some small touch-ups.

That's where I am so far. Looking at the picture again, maybe it was not sepia colored, but B&W and I had used the wrong color sliders when checking...

Ann

Lynnya

Welcome to the forum Wordspark.. I think you are right, I think it's black and white... The bald spot looks like as you say a tire mark, I would probably get rid of it but I get into trouble a lot  so don't listen to me too much.
I think it's looking good so far..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Quote from: Lynnya on October 15, 2016, 03:02:29 PM
Welcome to the forum Wordspark.. I think you are right, I think it's black and white... The bald spot looks like as you say a tire mark, I would probably get rid of it but I get into trouble a lot  so don't listen to me too much.
I think it's looking good so far..

Lynn ... Girl you crack me up!!

Wordspark, a big welcome to the forum! I agree with Lynn & think it is a B&W. Nice work so far and your screen shots and explanations ...  :up2:
As for the tire mark ... you could add a layer, fix the tire mark and then shoot your distributor one with it fixed & the original and let them decide.
Look forward to seeing you around!

Mhayes

Hi Worspark, welcome to the Forum and you did a great job on explaining your WIP. I would go with B/W and as you mentioned keeping it still in the sRGB mode.  I would also fix what looks like a bald spot which I think is damage. As to the photo being sepia, I think the color changed due to age and also flood waters.

Great job!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

WordSpark LLC

Hi Lynn, Shadow and Margie,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and your comments, much appreciated  :)

I went back to B&W and fixed the grass - the bald spot, the lighter spots on the grass that were part of the water damage and the grass close to the edge that looked fuzzy and had some cloning marks. I also darkened the women's eyes a bit more.

Here is the version I am thinking of submitting:

Mhayes

Looks good to me and wouldn't change a thing.   :up: It's ready to upload back. Thanks for posting and hope to see your work again on the Forum.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Ann, you did a lovely job!
Thanks for posting your work and explaining how you did it.

:up2:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Kiska, thanks for that question as now I can't quit thinking about it.  :D  At the height of her swing I would think the ball would already be halfway down the course.  Back then I would assume that golf balls were still white and even though the photo has yellowed and darkened; I would still think the ball would be lighter. The last thought is that to catch the ball, the camera would have to set at a very fast shutter speed. However, what you circled is a perfect ball shape--so what does anyone else think? Think I will see if the family remembers.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

WordSpark LLC

Hi Kiska,

I think you are right, thanks for pointing it out.  It looked too dark to be anything else but a blemish to me when I evaluated the picture, so I cloned it out. When you  zoom in really close in the original, it does looks too round to simply be a dark spot or blemish, though.

Here is a version with a lighter ball.

Like Margie I assumed that the ball would be somewhere on the field based on the woman's swing, but I certainly do not want to get rid of any important parts that were there there all along.

Hannie

Margie, I had the same thought as to why it was unlikely to be a golf ball.   On the other hand when I zoomed in real close it seems to have shadows that could be similar to those of a golf ball. 
Long story short, I think it could be either.

Not much help, I probablywould have left it out.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

WordSpark LLC

Thanks everyone. Maybe the owner will remember...

Mhayes

I've called and left a message for her and will try again tomorrow.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]