• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Boy in chair

Started by Shadow, October 13, 2016, 09:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hey Gang. I do not still officially have this little guy but he is still in Jonas gallery so I have continued to work on the image. Sure would like his family to have him restored.
The chair cushion ... I just can't figure out how to get that piping right. The answer is in shading I bet ... any of you have the touch?
Lynn's couple by the fence inspired me to go back and zoom way in to begin the repair work over again. The lamp comes from the piece that is intact. Not sure if that is ok or not.
Do you think this is an improvement over the earlier one that looked way too painted? Still too saturated on his confounded pjs?
Any and all thoughts much appreciated.

kiska

The boy's foot does not appear to be overhanging the cushion, so no shadow necessary. The lamp seems to be fatter in the original.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Lynnya

Hi Lyn..It looks really good to me.. it's small so I can't really see in close close... skin looks lovely.. all of it looks great to me. I would still take down the sat a tad.. maybe it's my monitor tho.. the piping looks fine to me..I cheat a lot :cool: sometimes I'll select the very edge of whatever and put it on a blank layer and then use a layer style like drop shadow faded out a bit.. but I don't think that's necessary in your case.. piping looks fine to me. I think you've done a beautiful job :up: :up: :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Hannie

Lyn, you did a great job!
Piping is fine, perhaps a low amount of blurring over the length of the piping.

:up2:

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Kiska, Lynn and Hannie ... thank you for feedback!! I went back and worked on the lamp Kiska ... can you tell if it is getting close to something believable? Lynn ... you are so kind. It is not your monitor! The Sat on that orange chair hurt my eyes!  :wow:  Tweaked the pjs more as well. And you and Hannie got me thinking so I took the top of the chair, blurred the edge a bit and then put it down over that lower cushion. More realistic? Now have to figure out how to even out the color for the chair. Seems when I add the Dodge and Burn I oversaturate stuff.
Still hoping someone with more experience and talent adopts this one from Jonas gallery ... in the meantime, thanks to all of you for you help. Learning SO much.  :wnw:

Lynnya

Hi Lyn.. good morning  :)  You know what I do a lot of? select some of the good part of the chair back control J to give it a layer for it'self then alt mask it away, then you can paint back in what you need.. could do it with part of the other chair arm as well only flip it in transform.. little buy looks great and color looks great on my screen :up: :up:

Shadow

Good morning Lynn and Happy Monday to you and all the gang! Yippee! Glad color is looking good. Appreciate your feedback and thank you for your tip. Something like this maybe?

Lynnya

yes thats it.. I would just add a bit more fabric to some of the shady areas on the right hand side of the back of the chair.. if the fabric that you move over does not match you can add an adjustment layer to tone down, or hue sat and when satisfied alt mask and paint in, you have to merge the adjustment layer down to you fabric layer first tho.. am I making sense? you probably know all this alread :cool: Also, if you wanted to add a bit more fabric texture to camouflage shading on couch.. make a new blank layer, fill with 50% gray in soft light.. add noise uniform mono lots of it.. about 11 or so - go to filter - pixelate - mosaic - then alt mask it all out and paint back in the texture on the chair only..see if that helps.. it's a little soft and blurry on the right and that might hide that a bit..Try other blend modes too .. other than soft light for the gray layer.. hard light looks pretty good too for texture..change opacity up and down for your needs..
lookin good tho Lyn :up:

Tori803

Shouldn't the pj top read "The Dukes OF Hazzard" (the TV show)?
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Shadow

You guys are the best! Tori, what a great eye!! Thank you very much  :up: 
Lynn,no, I actually did not know most of what you wrote. Thank you so much. Spent lots of time trying to figure out how to add back texture to no avail ... your tip goes right into the Look In Here Folder!  Here's where the image is now. This one is bigger so if anyone sees anything else I can address it. Thank you all for contributing to this restore! I deeply appreciate your help.

Lynnya

I love it!!!! :up: :up: :up: :up:

Mhayes

Great job and great feedback! Thanks so much as this will be a big help to others.

Margie

P.S. As we get some really great posts, remember to not change or delete the link to your photos as all will be lost. Thanks!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Lynn, you make me smile! Thank you. And thank you Margie. It has been a loooong road - there was so much I just did not know how to do. The image is absolutely a team effort.  :loveit: