• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margies Forum - Vicarage Luncheon...

Started by Lynnya, October 11, 2016, 02:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

These lovely people are having lunch.. feedback always appreciated..

original

Color corrected using channel mixer then tested it out with levels and curves.. I brightened it a tad..

cleaned up the walls and spots - (is there a magic wand to clean walls?) bumped up the brightness and contrast just a tiny bit.

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Beth

Shadow

Beautiful Lynn! Wonder about maybe leaving the handwritten names at the bottom?

Lynnya

Yeah I usually do actually Lyn.. I had two thoughts... I can put 'em back.. or someone in the family can write em in.. maybe Margie will want them in.

Mhayes

Lynnya, I would put the writing back in as it has meaning for the photo. I think your restore looks great, but wonder about the 3rd woman from your right. I think the lightness below her waist and by her arm is water damage.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Will fix tomorrow .. Thanks Margie..Just a thought... the white around the edge is not bright white.. I was going to fill with the same white that is in the image to preserve the writing.. is that o.k.?

Hannie

Another way to add the writing back in and at the same time keep the white edge at 255:

- make rectangular selection of the written tekst (in original image)
- create new file, paste selection
- add levels layer
- move outer sliders towards each other until white is 255 and writing looks satisfactory, experiment
- now paste as a new layer in your WIP

Hope this helps,

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Oh Hannie!! Brilliant..that's what I'll do..than you!

Lynnya

Here is my WIP .. I'm thinking it might be close if not final? Any feedback appreciated. I took Hannie's advice and cut and pasted the original text onto my new margin, then I just slid the levels adjustment as far as I dare without losing the writing.. hope it looks ok. I've noticed that things often look different in the forum, I can see more faults.. I bumped up the brightness and contrast a little less than before.. I also took the good part of her skirt ctrl J to another layer, hid it then painted back in the good..

Do you think it needs more brightness?

Shadow

Looks very good Lynn. You are right about uploads ... suspect it has something to do with compression artifacts. Does make you go back and give your original another good once over! Skirt looks great.

Lynnya

Thanks Lyn.. Let's see what Margie says.. I wished I could have gotton the text a little darker but I couldn't do it.. tried everything.. Hannie's way worked best. I'm waiting on another restore... another doozy  ;D but there is always do much help from you guys I'm getting braver  :hug:

Beth

To make the lettering darker, add a new layer and change it to overlay or soft light. Then brush over the letters with black. It will bring the letters out.

Lynnya

Thanks Beth.. I totally forgot that! and... I was just this morning doing a tutorial with Deke Mcclelland on masking and he used overlay to paint black around his white mask without affecting the white.. overlay protected the whites.. you'd a thought I might have remembered that? duh Thanks it looks a bit darker.. enough anyway.. I also duplicated the new layer to darken it up a bit more.. thanks dearie  :hug:

Beth

Mhayes

Lynn, I think if looks great and nice to see the writing back. I know for me that if I don't do something very often I forget. That's why I like to have a folder under Bookmarks>OPR Forum.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]