• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Margie's Forum Gregory

Started by Lynnya, October 05, 2016, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi friends..
About to start on this image.  I've done a color correction and think hmmm.. but I spose just cos I don't like the color don't mean it ain't right.. right? anyhow.. before I proceed with what little damage there is I'd like some feedback please.. If you can get a better result please tell me how to do it.. thanks
Lynn

So I was itchy to work on this sweet image so this is where I'm at.. I didn't want to do too much to it and make it look fake.. what do you think.

ok here's my latest with Hannie's numbers..

messed with it more...
now I have to clean up the walls again a bit... they look dirty..

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Beth

The repairs look great!  Beauty is in the eye of  the beholder so you may not like this but I added a Vibrance adjustment layer and turned up the vibrance and saturation. I apparently like my photos more contrasty and brighter than many people so this may be too much.  :)

Lynnya

Hey Beth :)
thanks for the input.  Yeah.. I was gonna do that and for some reason held back.. I agree it looks better tho.. I think I was trying not to stray too far from the original (which I'm prone to do).. I'll see what Margie and others say.. Thanks again
Lynn

Hannie

Beautiful job Lynn!

I had to laugh at your "spose just cos I don't like the color don't mean it ain't right.. right?" remark.  That is something we all struggle with. 
You could try a Color Balance layer and experiment a little with upping the red (+18) and lowering the green (-4) and also lowering the blue slider (-18).

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Hmm thanks hannie will try that tomorrow😂

Mhayes

Hi Lynn, you did a great job in repairing, but I don't come up with the same results after color correcting as you did. I tried three separate things: Curves, Levels, and finding neutral gray. Each of the methods I did as a stand alone, not one on top of the other. Even before doing that I suspected something wasn't quite right. Your restore has a greenish cast for the walls, man's shirt, and the item next to the man's elbow. If this had been a Polaroid or if the original had shown a color cast overall; I might have thought this normal.

I understand Beth wanting to make things more vibrant and greater contrast, and that is fine on photos that have little contrast. The problem is that when it get to Quality Control and they don't like it they have to redo it. When the distributor has all the photos restored, she sends a note to Quality Control that those photos are ready for review. These are gone over very carefully, checking color mode, size, and things that could improve the photo. That is why we ask that you do not sharpen. So even if you feel like maybe I like this a lot more vibrant, use your judgement.

Just saw Hannie's remark and I laughed too!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Hi Lynn, Glad you are on the west coast of FL & fingers crossed the storm takes a wicked right turn into the Atlantic soon. Thank you for posting this. Your repairs look great.

Shadow

Hmmm ... still can't get what Margie showed in her screenshot. Back to the drawing board.

Mhayes

Have you tried doing a Curves Adjustment layer where you just hit the button for Auto? I see on yours where you have 3 dropper points and I assume to do black, gray, points, or? When I did the Levels Adjustment (stand alone), I did the pull down for each channel and move both the sliders in so there was no clipping. I did a stand alone for finding the gray point, by adding a new layer for with the mode Soft Light and checking the box for 50% gray. Then on my layers palette, I change the mode to Difference and anywhere is was almost black, that would have been my pick for the gray point in Curves.

I'm not sure your skin tone looks bad on point 3. What I'm not sure of is whether you are trying to adjust your colors by picking certain areas and then adjusting?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Hi Margie,

I tried a Curves Auto. Not great. Above post, I put a color point on the wall so I could keep track of what was happening. I don't normally do that. Normally I use the Curves and Alt + drag to find my Black and Whites points. Then I do what you do to find my gray. Then I adjust the points for White 244 Black 15 and Gray 126.

I tried Levels the way you do it and it looks better. Somewhere I learned that skin tones were supposed to have Red highest then Green then Blue and that if Blue was greater than Green you needed to tweak it. I didn't think the skin looked off but was unsure about trusting my eyes. Am learning that the first Wh/Bl points that show up might not be the best choices and to experiment. (Hannie picking the watch face on the little gymnast for example.)

Thanks for sharing your process.

Lyn

Mhayes

Lyn, I would never just eyeball what you think is gray, because I have found when I do the part where I change to Difference; I come closer to finding it. And, sometimes the exception that there isn't a good one. The exception being when I know something is gray, say like a chain-link fence. The big clue that trying to force the colors is that you were getting a greenish cast.

I will have to look it up and it is out there somewhere on the Forum, but maybe the reason your Curves didn't come out like mind, might be how you have your colors set. More later when I find it. May just look it up in one of my books.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

I used Lynn's first version and the Color Balance layer I mentioned earlier.

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Hannie, this looks great!

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Hi Margie.. I tried Hannie's numbers and also messed with it as it still looked a bit green on my screen.. if you look at the last 2 in my original post if you think the last one is ok or the one before (Hannie's fix) let me know and I'll load em up.. or if they need more work..

thanks
Lynn

Hannie

Lynn, the last 2 versions in your original post look great!

To keep this topic in a logical order it would be helpful if you could edit your last post and add the 2 latest versions of your restore.
(and delete them from your first post)

After you that I will delete my post so it all makes sense (or not... :D)

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]