• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Re: Margie's Gallery too

Started by Beth, September 28, 2016, 01:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth

Here's one I'm working on.  Margie, I'm sorry but I had put quite a bit of time into this one before I saw your second e-mail.

This one just flat does not want to color correct.  I tried multiple ways and it just wouldn't cooperate.  I ended up using the color replacement tool and making my best guess as to the original color based on as much correction I could get. I'm not done trying on this one and I would welcome any suggestions to improve the image.

WIP

ORIGINAL

Mhayes

Beth,

I totally agree with you as I tried it and the colors will not come back true. What I think would be a good way to treat this one is to let the background and the rug to stay as you have it. The bride I would like to work separate, change to B/W but still left as sRGB and then colorize her. I will show you a way to do it and you may from there have your own ideas. I tried to download your photo and the dimensions are correct, but at 72 dpi which is good since this is a large photo: 11 x 14. Could you upload this version back so that I can work at it at its full resolution of 300 dpi. When I put it back on the forum, I will reduce too for the web, but would like to work at full resolution first.

Also, I am going to have Tess move this to a post on it's own to that each one from my gallery can have their work separate. I think you got it to a good point and I would like to contact the owner to get a description of her flowers.

Thanks for taking this on and for posting!

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Beth

kiska

I might just go with a BW version.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mhayes

Beth, after my demonstration on how I colorized this photo, you and a whole lot of volunteers are going to leave in mass exodus because you will have reached the conclusion that I am nuts!  :crazy: Humor me and then try to forget this twisted tutorial. It didn't work out wonderful, but looks marginally better.

The first thing I did was take the original and make a B/W, but kept it in sRGB and used the green channel. I will keep your final for the background when I get done and use a layer mask to bring in the bride.

I have my B/W and duplicate the background and am going to create a painting layer by going to Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer at the bottom of the layers palette>select Solid Color>click OK. In the layer mask use Ctrl/Cmd+I to invert the layer mask to black (conceal all).

Open the blending options by right clicking the solid color. Now for the fun part. On the bottom slider you will want to hold down the Alt/Option and click the black triangle on the left and it should split into two.  On the left as shown you will want to read 30/70 and do the same side with the option click on the white triangle to split into two halves. Drag the sliders so you have 185 and 225 and then click OK.

Now to set up your layers that you are going to paint on. With the first layer mask you created, hit Ctrl/Cmd J 15-20 times if you need that much.  On your first layer, you will click to the right of the layer mask and you have a chance to pick a color you want. Hit OK and then double click to put what you want that color for--makes it less confusing when you go back and forth. Once you want to paint with that color, you will click on the mask and with white to reveal--you will paint in.

Once I got done painting I saved my work and then I did a "Save As" so that I could flatten the version to use to drop on top of yours, and with a layer mask paint the bride back in. Not the best and I have no doubt there are easier ways to do this. Not sure if B/W would have been better, but it seems a shame to not have some color on this one.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Beth

I used the sponge set to desaturate to remove the color from the bride then I colorized her by painting on new soft light layers.  I much prefer this method of colorizing.  I also fixed some of the background color.

Lynnya

What a lovely job! I was going to attempt this one but didn't have the guts :) Very tricky. I love what you've done, I think I do like Margie's softer face though, her face and hair seems a bit contrasty on my monitor.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

Beth, great job! I agree with Lynnya on the face. You could go back to your original and color correct for use of the face only--then you can drop that in and mask the rest out.

I'm all for a simpler approach than what I used, but could you explain just a bit more.? Where you desaturated with the sponge, did you do copies of that layer to paint and those layers would have been with "Soft Light" as the mode? Dumb question, the mode was not "Color." The reason I ask is that I would have thought if the mode was not color than when you painted it would not show the texture through the paint--but yours does? I like how you have done the shadowing on her gown which gives it depth and looks believable.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Beth

Here's a video showing what I'm talking about with the colorizing.  I'm not good at explaining in writing so I thought this would be the best way. 

Audio fixed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqahP7TF-p0&feature=youtu.be

Mhayes

Thanks Beth, will look at it this evening and a video is perfect.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Beth

Thanks Margie, I hope it's helpful.

Shadow

Hi Beth,

Thanks for sharing. Stunning how far you have taken the image!

Will check out your video tomorrow.

Have a good one.

Lyn

Mhayes

Beth, thanks so much for sharing as the video worked great. I like what you have done and easier than my version. Nice how you had color swatches for skin tones. You mentioned that you weren't concerned about ethnicity, but I like having those samples . I am lazy in that my brush is usually set to soft, so there are no hard edges. I also like using shortcut keys and in this case all I have to do is hit Ctrl orCmd B for brush and to vary the size of my brush I hit the bracket keys [ = make smaller, and the other bracket ] makes the brush larger. That way I'm not having to go up to the menu. I love how you use the blue/purple color for the shadows which gives the photo a real look and add depth. I also do a lot of "Merge Visible" and then add a layer above.

The one thing you do that I stay away from is the eraser tool, I prefer layer masks as nothing is destroyed. Or if it is just a minor goof, I will go up into history and back up a step or two. I also like labeling my layers, especially if there are many. It makes it so much easier.

We may go at things differently, but now I have a nice alternative to use when coloring that will be very helpful. I am really happy and proud of all of you that post on the forum and the feedback helps everyone.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

lurch

<C>

Mhayes

Lurch, yes hers does, but did you watch the video? If not, then do and you will see why she did that. How about showing how you would approach these photos and posting your WIP. I will even download the original to you, just let me know.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]