• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Continuing the color saga

Started by Lynnya, September 26, 2016, 11:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Yes it's me again.. trying to pin down this color correction thing :)  I tried Margie's way of doing things... levels, then curves and didn't do my usual threshold start.. this is the result.. Please comment I need the help..I did desaturate the reds after that tho.. terrible color cast...

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

Hi Lynn,

Guess what? I think maybe this particular photo's color correction is best done by finding the gray point. I will post some screen prints and the final results, but realize that lately I've had problem uploading. So check on the Technique Handbook until I can show my results and how I got there.

First thing I did was go up to the menu and hit Layer>New. I already had a duplicate layer as I make it a habit to have the original and then the duplicate. This new layer is different because I will be setting the mode to "Soft Light."

After that is done, I now change the mode to "Difference" so that it will show black where my gray is at--the closest to black the truer it will be to gray.

Next I will use the eye dropper in your tools to the left in Photoshop that lets me mark my 3 choices.

I will do a Curves Adjustment above my layer and in between and before the Difference Layer. I will turn off the eye on the Difference layer so that I can find my markers. I will then take the middle dropper and put it in the center of one of my choices. In this case it was the little boy's.

And this is the results.

I did want to improve the photo as I think a flash was used and it blew out the highlights in the faces. I duplicated my layer and changed the mode to "Multiply" and then played with the opacity that looked good. Because I didn't want to darken the entire photo, I did a layer mask where I concealed all and painted back in the faces.

This doesn't mean my way is better than yours, but I believe mine looks closer when I compare the shirt and jeans of the adult on your left. Yours seems to have a violet cast?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

No you're right, there was a cast to mine... I normally do use the threshold funnily enough but I don't use 3 in the neutrals... I'll try that. Also, I don't know what you think but if I do my black point and white points at the same time my whites are usually too white.. even tho I have set my white lower than 255 as default...
It looks really good Margie :)

I think trying everything to see what fits best is the answer.. I actually blew out the whites a bit in mine and I don't usually..

Fun to learn :)

Mhayes

Lynn,

I agree it is fun to learn, but I'm sure this demonstrations probably scares many away.  I normally do just the Curves Adjustment and hit Auto and that is that. I doubt that I have used the threshold in 5 years as I don't like the results. If I want to use the black or white eye dropper, I can do that in curves too. By using the auto in Curves, I'm letting the program do the work. It is only when I'm sure that I can make it look better that I choose a different route.

Thanks for being game to be the first person to pick one from my gallery and then post to the Forum for feedback.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

I actually learned a lot.. thanks... and I was nervous.. :cool:

Mhayes

Lynn, you came off well and explained your work in progress and what you were trying to accomplish. As to being nervous, I think that is a big part why so many volunteers do not take advantage of the forum. Unlike other forums, everyone here wants to help and snarky remarks are not tolerated. Thanks for going first in my gallery.  :hug:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

I have noticed on a lot of restores that the skin tones tend toward yellow. One way to remedy this is, after basic levels and curves, is to try a color balance adjustment layer. You can leave the reveal all mask (white) if the overall effect is ok or use a hide all mask (black) and paint in the skin tones.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Lynnya

Yes Kiska you're right... I think I tend to overdo the yellow to "warm" but your adjustment looks good..I rarely use the color balance but will experiment more with it...
Thanks

Lynnya

I'd like a critique on this color correction please.. I used Margie's levels first (in each channel) then auto curves.. then I did a neutral gray which made him look a tinsy bit yellow so I then tried Kiska's color balance.. tipping to the blue a bit.. this is what I've ended up with..First time I've ever NOT done a black and white threshold point...yeay!!

Mhayes

Lynn,

Very nice. If one way of color color correction gives you what you want, doesn't mean throwing everything you have at it is going to make it better. The neutral gray that I showed you is meant to be the first step as it is taking the original photo that has not had anything done to it yet. You do not want to do this as a last step. Kiska's step can also be done after you have done your correction as a way to fine tune.

Congrats on your bypassing the black/white threshold point--hope no withdrawal symptoms?  ;)

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]