• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Certificate of Honorable Service ~ Army Air Force

Started by Candice, September 03, 2016, 03:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

A bit of history: During World War I the airplane was not generally used as a long-range fighting machine. However, during the period from 1919 to the start of World War II, the heavy bomber was created, capable of ranging far from its home base and carrying a lethal load of high explosives. It soon became clear that a warning system was needed to protect against this new threat. Technology at the outset of World War II consisted of mechanical sound detectors that were found to be inadequate to the job. It was also argued that while soldier lookouts would be valuable, their use would detract from other needed military operations.

With the help of the American Legion, volunteers were organized in May 1941 and the Army Air Forces Aircraft Warning Service Reserve was created.  These volunteers were committed and did a needed job which helped with the success of our troops during WWII.

In the summer of 1943, a system of awards for services performed and outstanding accomplishments was established.

By 1944 the volunteers were no longer needed and the service ended.
Candice

Mhayes

Candice, thanks for a beautiful restore and for sharing the history behind the award.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Margie, it was an honor.  My heart is always touched when I work on things like these and my thoughts wander to what it must have been like during those times. 
Candice