• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

A question for restoration volunteers

Started by Dave, January 21, 2007, 12:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I'm currently slogging through pre-processing the next round of photos. One of the steps is to resize the images to original size. However, I started thinking that may be a better step to complete after restoration since it would give the restoration volunteer a much larger canvas to work from.

For those of you who do the work, what would you prefer - large file or original size?

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

pcraft

Hi Dave, I think for those of us with lots of memory, the large file would be best..
I'm running with 2 Gig of Ram and the larger file would give me more info to work with.
My vote would be for the larger file..  :up:

kiska

Original size for me. I try to get the smaller color images. I can handle larger grayscale.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Kenny

I prefer original size. I'm running 1 Gig of Ram and they work out better for me.

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Dave

Since I have 2 gig of ram, I think I could handle the full-size image.  Especially if it'll save you work!  How large are the originals compared to what we're working with now?

A technical question:  Would final clarity be better when the image is reduced and interpolated before restoration or after? Or would the difference be insignificant?

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Ratz

The larger the better for me thanks Dave.

macieklew

Dave

Yep, I was afraid the responses were going to be pretty much split up right down the middle.

Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

Ausimax

Hi Dave,

It is a question of HOW large, the large files would be, I have 768 Mb of RAM, the largest file I have had from OPR was 8 Mb and that posed no real trouble, I would like to work with as much info available as possible, within reason, another constraint is bandwidth, I only have 1000 Mb of download bandwidth per Month and my upload speed is only 64 kbps, so uploading large files is slow.

Is there anyway we could choose when we download the image to take the original or large size? I know we are probably constrained by the amount of storage space and bandwidth PhotoShelter are prepared to donate, but it would be an elegant solution!

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

Ptollemy

I agree with Max - how large would large files be? I'd also be interested to learn at what resolutions the originals are scanned; for as pixel/resolution is more important than size. Or is that what you mean?

I've done a couple of restorations now, and whatever size/resolution your currently scanning works fine. :)

Kind regards
Ptollemy

Dave

In 99% of our copywork, we don't scan. Rather, we shoot copy images using pro level high resolution digital cameras. Size-wise our primary goal is to be able to reproduce a print that matches the original's physical size at 300 dpi.

We try to avoid scanning the images because of the overall fragility and contamination stemming from the damage that they have sustained.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

cmpentecost

Hi Dave,

I prefer receiving the images at 300 dpi, as I guess that is what I am accustomed to working with in photography.  The lower the res, the more pixelated the image becomes.  However, regardless of how I receive the images, I've not had any problems with the restoration.  I have a pretty powerful computer, so perhaps I don't notice the slower downloads that others may have with the higher res image.

Not sure if this answer helps, but it's my two cents worth!

Christine

Dave

When you download the images from Photoshelter, the resolution for whatever reason converted to 72dpi. If it's your preference, you can always reset it back to 300dpi as long as you are not changing the actual file size.

Dave
Dave Ellis
OPR Founder
[email protected]

kiska

Quoteou can always reset it back to 300dpi as long as you are not changing the actual file size.

UNCHECK 'resample image'. ;)
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Ziaphra

My poor old computer only has 512mb of RAM so she struggles sometimes with some of the files as it is, so I very much doubt I could cope with them being larger!  :(