• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Where are You?

Started by Ausimax, January 19, 2007, 04:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ausimax

Logged on this morning and not a post over night, and the situation hasn't improved during the day, where is everybody, you can't all be snowed in, can you? ::)

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Good morning Max!

I was wondering the same thing.  It sure has been quiet.

I'm here, and hardly snowed in, since we're still having unseasonally warm weather.  We just discovered that we lost all our lemons to fruit rats and the weather.  There has to be at least one good freeze for them to get sweet and juicy - the lemons, not the rats, although there may be a correlation! -(hubby's family had large citrus groves back in the day, so he knows all about them)-- definitely not this year.  Quite a loss, because they're as large as oranges and almost as sweet.  A wonderful gift from nature that we'll be without this year.

I haven't been posting much, because things are so quiet, and I'm just trying to slog through my mom & daughter restoration.  Last night I had to take a break and color-correct wedding rehearsal photos for a friend at work.  An  interesting job.  The color cast on all the photos was saturated with red and yellow, and it was some challenge to get them remotely decent looking.  Thanks to Katrin Eismann, I was able to do a relatively competent job.

And of course there's work.  When we either get to a deadline (we have 6 publications and 3 people in the art departmen), and the big boss is pushing us to work on web design and get things on line, I just get flat out too pooped to do much but holler at the cats.  (That's new.  I seldom raise my voice, but since I got that flu or whatever it was, I've been an Olympic-class crab.)

As with you, I hope our pals in the midwest are okay.  Every morning I hear on the radio about more storms.

How're things with you?  You're in summer now in Australia, aren't you.  What's summer like there?  Does it get very hot or stay temperate?

Anyway, gotta get ready for work.  My very best to you, Margaret, Lucy and the rest of your crew!

GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Kenny

Hey Max and Glenna.

Things are ok where I live. We've been experiencing power outages, but not no where nearly as bad as the town just north of where I live. Mcalester is the name of the town, and it's the one you hear about on the news. They say it might be a couple of weeks before full power is restored over there.

My wife got a call from the power company a little bit ago saying they are turning off the power here for a couple of hours to repair a line. I guess I'll put on my coat and go for a walk or something. Luckily it's not too cold today!

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

cmpentecost

I'm still here, but keeping very busy.  Even though we've been in the new house 2 months now, I still have a few lingering boxes and other things that have not quite found their permanent home yet.  I'm trying to clear up the remaining clutter around here before it drives me bonkers.  I'm also working on a photo album of the construction process and new house for my husband and I, as well as the builders and architect.  I'm also currently taking an online course thru www.betterphoto.com (which offers great classes in photography and photoshop).  And then, as if I'm not busy enough, we are taking advantage of Bridger Ski Bowl being 10 miles away and are skiing a couple of times a week.

I'm sure once OPR releases the next batch of photos to work on, we'll all be busy with our restorations again and the forum activity will pick up.

Cheers!   :)

Christine

Ratz

Hi guys, it is very quiet around here, isn't it! I've been checking in a couple of times a day to see what's up and no-ones been around.
I can't believe the weather this year! Kenny,I hope you aren't suffering too much from the cold.I saw orange groves in California on the news last night and the ornages were encased in ice! Our summer here in Aus is also messed up,nowehere near as hot as usual (although I'm not complaining!).  The weather all over the world seems all wrong this year.
Max, is it strange in your part of the country too?
I've been busying myself with some digital scrapbooking of my newest grandson.Do you know how difficult it is to get a decent photo of a baby who won't stop wriggling?
Christine, how are you finding the courses at BP? I am a member myself but haven't taken any courses yet, are you finding them helpful?
Well, will keep checking in,can't wait for the new round to start!
Keep well...and warm everyone and have a great day.

Vicki :)

cmpentecost

Hi Vicki,

I think the courses at Better Photo have been great.  I've taken both photography courses and Photoshop courses, and have never been disappointed.  The class I am taking now is on the Nikon D2X camera.  I just switched from Canon to Nikon, and when I saw this particular course being offered, I knew it would be a good way to really learn the ins and outs of this camera.  It's been a great course so far.  I would recommend BetterPhoto.com to anyone who has an interest in improving their photography or photoshop skills.

Christine

Ausimax

Hi Folks, glad to see you are all still here, I was beginning to think the World had ended and nobody had thought to tell me. :funny:

Glenna, sorry to hear about you lemon crop, there always seems to be some reason you miss out, every year we have a battle with our Apricots and Peaches, mainly with fruit flies, then just before they ripen the Currawong's get them (Bird about the size of a Magpie, and eats literally anything, goats of the air), last year we bought some special bags to cover the fruit supposed to keep off both the fruit flies and the Currawongs, may have worked a treat if the bags hadn't attracted the attention of the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo's who proceeded to destroy all the bags, and the fruit as well. That problem has been taken care of, we lost all the trees due to drought, 2 mature Apricot trees, 4 Peach trees and numerous other mature trees and shrubs, at present we are battling to save about 6 Citrus trees.

Sounds like you have been busy on the restoration and work front, oh well look at the bright side, it keeps you from playing on the road! ;D

Yes we are in summer, here it seems to start about the second week of October and goes through till the end of April, normally the temperature is in the mid to high 30s C. ranging up to as high as 45 deg C. This is usually moderated by having extremely low humidity, we have ducted evaporative air-conditioning, which usually keeps us nice and comfortable, not this summer we have had no rain, high humidity and the air-conditioning has been about as useful as training wheels on a unicycle.
We had the coolest Christmas period we have had since we have been here, but it has been making up for it since. Our main problem is lack of rain, our normal?, rainfall is in the region of 675mm per year, last year we had 303mm, the lowest since 1946. Guess that about answers your question, Vicki, yes it has been loony.

Kenny, pleased that you and yours are OK and not having too much trouble, you too seem to be having weird weather, and by news reports Europe is not doing any better.

Christine, if you are anything like my wife, you will still be finding "permanent" homes for years to come, it takes quite a while to get a new home settled down and the way you want it, you have to live with it for a while before you know how everything is going to work, usually what seems "just right" when you first set it up, after a while proves to be unworkable - good luck!

I too will be glad when we get some new photos, I have been trying to learn new methods, like on your photo, and doing some of the challenges at Innographx.com to keep my hand in, though I think that unfortunately, I am task driven, I find it hard to apply as much effort to something that has no real importance, as I am willing to apply to OPR work.

Anyway that is enough of my drivelling on, pleased you are all well and haven't frozen. Keep well, and keep on postin!  :)

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

John

I'm still peeking in now and then.  I've been in contact with Dave and he sounds like there are some things in store for 2007, so I think it's just a matter of firing up the ol' OPR engines to get show rolling again.

If I hear anything I'll keep you posted.

Weather has finally broken in the Northeast... sub zero temperatures here... brrrrrrrrr.