• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Winter Weather

Started by Kenny, January 15, 2007, 01:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Greetings from frozen Oklahoma  :D

I guess I should count my blessings, I've only been without internet for 3 days, but large parts of oklahoma are without power. Freezing rain is horrible. The nearest big town to me is completely without power and trees and power lines are down everywhere. I got out a little bit this morning to drive my wife to her office so she could forward the phones to our house for the day. The roads are really treacherous. If any of you are getting this weather, please be careful and remember to stay away from any downed lines.

I just got the internet back a few minutes, but I don't know how long it will last. We're doing good, we have power and heat and I have everything ready in case we lose either.

Stay warm, everyone!

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

glennab

Hi Kenny

I'd heard this morning on NPR how bad the storms were in your area.  It's so bizarre that we're having 80-degree sunny days and you guys are getting blasted. Thank goodness you have power!

Wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and hoping you stay safe and warm!

GG
What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)

Carol

Hi Kenny,

We have seen some of the ice storm footage on TV here in OZ.  Looks very nasty.   We too were without power in Melbourne yesterday, but it was over 40 degrees Celsius.  The outage here was caused by destruction of power lines caused by bushfires.  This weather is crazy!  We experienced our coldest Xmas on record (snow in the middle of an Aussie summer!) ) and since beginning of year have recorded hottest night on record as well. 

Carol
Carol

www.pixelbypixel.com.au
www.littlecritters.com.au

Kenny

I made a trip over by Oklahoma City today. They've officially declared the area I drove through a federal disaster area. The damage was extensive. Everything was covered in ice. The trees were all bent or broken. I saw lots of power company crews out working to restore power. What struck me was even though this is a disaster, it's also very beautiful. I really wished I had remembered to bring my camera :( 

It looked as though everything was made of crystal, even the grass. Here's a news picture from the area:

My oldest daughter works at a nursing home and the power went out for a day or so. The red cross came in and passed out emergency blankets to keep everyone warm. I talked to her a little bit ago and she's holding up fine, just a little tired from it all.  I hope they get everything back in order soon, I'm sure lots of people would like to have heat again  :D

Kenny :)

But why is the rum gone?

Ausimax

Hi Kenny,

I hope your weather warms up soon, it must be a real worry without power if you are dependant upon it for heating, I can't comprehend it being that cold, the coldest we get is -12 C (10.4 F) and that is only early in the coldest mornings, usually warms up to about 18-21 C (64-70 F) during the day, and we think THAT is cold.
The sort of temps you are having - my toe's would drop off, though it must be spectacular to see that much snow & ice.

Keep well, and above all keep warm.

Max
Wisdom is having a well considered opinion .... and being smart enough to keep it to yourself!     MJS

"Life" is what happens while you are planning other things!

glennab

Hi Kenny

Mother Nature must be having one heck of a case of PMS!  I'm glad your family is all safe.  I heard something very interesting on NPR yesterday.  The commentator was saying that not only are you dealing with broken trees from the weight of the ice but that as the ice melts, branches will snap back in place, possibly creating more power problems.

I've spent some time in Maine in the winter, and I know that even the deadliest of snow storms are gorgeous.  I've not lived in a cold climate my entire adult life, so the dangers you deal with are so different from ours.  I'm accustomed to going outside in regular clothes almost every day.  Bundling up and dealing with slippery roads and the danger of freezing are truly unimaginable.  (The first time I drove in Maine in snowy weather, I got on the main road, couldn't see, so I turned on the window washer.  Then sat on the side of the road cursing myself for being a warm weather imbecile until I got the ice off the windshield!)

Be safe and warm!

GG

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal. ~Albert Pine

(Photoshop CS5 /Mac Pro)